Discussion Starter #1
One of my Colts....
And the only one of it's kind...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
C.

It is one of the few that the factory allowed to be sold to an employee. This gent was a Design Engineer. He worked primarily in the design of machine guns during Vietnam. He holds a few patents with Colt. On the side he and his partner built up this gun in the modeling department. It is the only one that I know of that has a ribbed barrel. It also has a highly beveled top strap to contour to the barrel rib. The grips were a prototype they experimented with in a plasticized wood. Forward of the trigger guard is square instead of the usual Colt oval or round. The basepin latch release has a rampant colt on the right side engraved. Your looking at the old Colt style case hardening....and on and on... :mrgreen:

giz

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Giz now you got my undivided attention. How did you come in possession of that colt. Their has to be more to the story. ;)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
C.

You'd prolly appreciate the fact that it was assigned a Prototype or Experimental Serial Number ;)

giz

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I picked up the gun from the gent that retired from Colt in 1971. He and I have traded numerous emails since. He is a known design engineer as is his partner that was a master machinist. The two gents created the gun. To them, this was simply an exercise in fun. Typical of them as they prototyped a machine gun and assigned a number beginning with 007 at about the same time :mrgreen: The gent I aquired the gun from is quite interesting as are some of his aquaintances. Only fellow that I know that was friendly with Eugene Stoner.

At any rate, an interesting example of what Colt could have used to compete with Bill Rugers Single Six....
Given the choice, I think I might have bought the Colt.... ;)

giz

P.S.

I'm surprised nobody noticed the gun was fitted with a Colt Eliason rear sight..... from a 1911 :D

Anybody seen that ramp sight on a SA Colt before? ;)

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Giz the whole gun threw me of of every thing i know about colt single actions. As far as eugene stoner goes your man must have had nerve's of steel to get along with him. :)

·
Registered
19,830 Posts
Giz........is there anything that you don't collect? :roll: You seem to have lots.....and lots......of 1st rate "stuff". Do you have a barn out back to hold all of this "stuff"? klnflaianl nfiofnp Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts