Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in one of the shops I normally stop by looking for S&W revolvers when I happened to see an Ithaca 37 20 ga.
It is serial number 3712577** which I believe is a 1972 manufacture date.
Looks to be in excellent condition overall with no rust, chips or deep scratches. Has a full choke vent-rib barrel that looks to be 30" long.

Couple of questions:
1) It has a mid bead on the barrel and the front bead is missing. From the looks of what is left it was one of the long fiber-optic looking front sights like on my older 37 12 ga. Can these be replaced and if so, how much will I end up spending to fix it?
2) How easy is it to find other barrels? I'd like a 26" IC and maybe a 28" Mod later? How much do they run used?
3) Shop is asking $350 + tax. Is this a fair price?

I am considering trading in my Rem 870 Wingmaster 20 ga (larger receiver) with 28" Mod barrel for it.

Thanks in advance!

WFR

·
Registered
21,208 Posts
I have an Ithaca 37 20 ga. IC that I use for just about all my hunting. Around here, where I live, it's about $50-100 high. In other areas, where Ithacas are more popular, it's right on. Only one question.......why would you trade an Rem. 870 20 ga. for it? IMO, the Remington Wingmaster is the more desirable shotgun. Bob

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
A model 37 is a remington model 17 that Ithica waited for the patent rights to expire on.A lot of lefties like them because they are bottom eject.The 870 is the most successful popular shotgun in the world and has set record sales and is unquestionably a good shot gun. But the model 17 and the ithica model 37 version is not chopped liver either.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts