Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks back, I came a cross a really nice looking Ithaca M1911 A1 in the used gun display of my favorite local GS. The finish looked great, and the pistol literally smelled of Cosmoline and grease. If had been used, it was gentle use.

I left, thinking about the gun, and started doing a little research... then a little more research. I came back to take a second look, dissembled the gun, examined it for wear and corrosion, etc. Took notes of the stamps and markings. Left for another two days.

Came back a third time, armed with a magnifying glass, and a preliminary go-ahead from "She Who must be Obeyed"... decided to pull the trigger. Seventy-two hours later (IL waiting period), this veteran was sitting on my work bench, getting a good, thorough cleaning:

In the above photo, only the magazine on the left -- with the spot weld marks -- is original issue (Colt-manufactured), the other is from another source.

First range session after cleaning... last two magazines (14 shots) at 7 yards:

Shooting this GI 1911 was a real surprise -- a very pleasant surprise!

The darn thing shoots really nice! No issues at all after ~100 rounds of 230gr FMJ. I was worried that the springs might need replacement after 66 years... recoil spring, firing pin spring, magazine spring... heck even the mainspring... all worked fine after a thorough cleaning when I picked it up last Saturday.

Empty casings eject fine, no failure to feed, no failure to fire... and once I got used to the GI-style sights (really lousy, BTW), I was able to put all 14 shots from the last 2 magazines into one of those Shoot 'N C' neon targets.

Lastly,
I picked up a couple reference books on military weapons and the 1911 specifically (The Model 1911 and Model 1911A1 Military and Commercial Pistols, by Joe Poyer). I went through all the stampings, proof marks, barrel marks, manufacturing codes, etc. and I'm satisfied that this Ithaca is the real deal... all original parts, original finish, no arsenal reworked components... woo-hoo!

The barrel came from the Flannery Bolt Company, on contract with the with the War Dept in WWII as a supplier to Ithaca; the magazine is a Colt Type 5, unmarked, manufactured by Colt for supply to Ithaca.

Date of manufacture for the gun is 1943, toward the end of the year.

Just wish there was some way to track where it was shipped, and to whom it was issued to while in the service.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Thats a great looking gun.Judging from the condition of the finish it looks like it was never issued and if it was it some how escaped much use.The ones I seen during my time in the army were well used and the finish showed it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I've managed to accumulate a few of those (Colts though) over the years and I'll have to agree that yours is a fine example. May you continue to enjoy it for many years to come. Congrats!
f.t.

·
Registered
132 Posts
that is a nice example of an ithaca 1911A1. i've been fortunate enough to find a couple over the years. one is a first contract and looks like the machineing was done in a freshman class in high school. lots of tool marks left. the later one is like yours, much better workmanship. thanks for sharing. lee

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Very nice example. It's getting more and more difficult to find those 60+ year old guns in that condition. Hang on to it. That should be the very last gun you let go of, if ever.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Here's my latest 1911A1 acquisition. From the estate of a retired Lt. Colonel. It is,according to his widow,his personal sidearm which he carried in WWII.

f.t.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tom,
A beautiful weapon. I can't quite make out the manufacturer's name from the image... looks like a pretty long name... Remington Rand? Do you know what year?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Thanks! It's a Colt. 1943. Sorry for the poor pics.
f.t.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'll leave it to you in my will Lee! :mrgreen:
f.t.

·
Registered
347 Posts
A very nice find for you! It looks great in your photos too! It obviously shoots nice too.

The U. S. military 1911s and 1911A1s always did function dependably and shoot with good accuracy in my experience.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bmcgilvray said:
A very nice find for you! It looks great in your photos too! It obviously shoots nice too.

The U. S. military 1911s and 1911A1s always did function dependably and shoot with good accuracy in my experience.
Thanks for the kind words.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just saw this. I am green with envy. You found my grail gun. :cry:

(I live in Ithaca. They're in the process of demolishing the original factory. A little bit of history...)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
zercool said:
Just saw this. I am green with envy. You found my grail gun. :cry:

(I live in Ithaca. They're in the process of demolishing the original factory. A little bit of history...)
I (almost) hate to do this to you, but she is a sweet, sweet 1911... ;)

If I ever have my back up against the wall financially, I'll keep you in mind! :shock:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tom, You've got a great .45. I'm just over 80 now; and, I carried that pistol as an Army Officer at the end of WWII in Germany, it was issued to me. I carried it for several years, participating on an Army Pistol Team as well. I've often wished that I had lost it; and, paid for it -- and found it later at my house. ha! Course they would have probably Court Martialed me. ha!

We set up a Rod and Gun Club near Karlsruhe, Germany, and I used to get a box of ammo out of my Battery Arms Room and shoot it after the duty day was over. Maybe did this several times a week when I was shooting regularly. I put several thousand rounds through that pistol with never any problems.

Congratulations on a great find.

For the record, what price range was it?

Tom
UA Army Retired

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tom,
If you're referring to the Ithaca M1911 A1, I paid $1650 just over a year ago. I think I was blessed with a very good deal, given the condition.
John

·
Super Moderator
33,411 Posts
Great looking .45! kfjdrfirii

67 years old and still a nice shooter.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts