Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week or so ago I posted about putting a 19-1 on layaway. I was able to get it out of hock yesterday, and spent a couple of hours with some Flitz and Renaissance Wax trying to make it presentable.

I guess I didn't do too bad.

While I was waiting on the background check, they gave me some sob story about this poor little Colt with no home, so I had to rescue it too. After all. It might be a while before I can get back into the place. (They'd sold most of those Smith and Wesson's I was telling about last week.) It's not a 4" Python, but it was a lot less expensive.

Funny thing. With all the guns I've owned, this one is the only one where the grips smell like wood. I was trying to figure out what the funny smell in the room was. They smell just like a 2X4 or something. They need to be cleaned I suppose.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Looks great, I had to put on my sunglasses to dull the shin and glare. Can’t beat a vintage Model 19. I like those grips.

·
Registered
27,257 Posts
Looks great! You did good. Range report soon?:)

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Nice looking gun mate..:) congratulations

Thewelshm

·
Registered
9,107 Posts
Hey CB,

Fine looking two some!!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
The cylinder on that Colt turns back time too, you can shoot twice as much. Great looking reolvers.

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’d sell that Colt and buy a few more 19s. That’s just me though. Maybe a 625 or two as well. And still have money left for ammo!
Either Smith and Wesson's are really cheap where you are, OR Colt Troopers are REALLY expensive. :)

I'm a Smith and Wesson guy, but I have a minor in Colt. I can like both.

BTW. I paid less for the Trooper, than I did for the Model 19.

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks great! You did good. Range report soon?:)
I don't know Curt. All the ranges around here are closed for the virus. There was a time when I could have just walked out on the front porch and started shooting, but those days are gone I'm afraid since we "moved to town."

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great job Cajun , you did an excellent job on cleaning up that 19 ! love the grips

Two really nice looking guns !
I'm a big fan of those old diamond targets. They just a tad smaller than the later target grips, and really seem to fit my hand.

I've got a 15-2 from just a few years later (1962) that have them too.

Reactions: RLW44 and msharley

·
Super Moderator
19,714 Posts
WOW, two recoveries. Nice job, and they both look great.
Does the Trooper models have the reputation of going out of time like the Python's did? I can't recall ever hearing anything bad about them.
Congratulations.

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
WOW, two recoveries. Nice job, and they both look great.
Does the Trooper models have the reputation of going out of time like the Python's did? I can't recall ever hearing anything bad about them.
Congratulations.
No, Starting with the MK III and later the MK V, they're a totally differen, more modernt action. Coil springs and a transfer are a couple of noticeable differences.

There was a time, not too long ago, when Colt purists seemed to look down their noses at the MK III and V models, but I've noticed over the last few years that seems to be changing. They are still in the reasonably affordable price range, unless you're talking about a pristine example, still in the box.

And even those are nowhere near Python levels.

Just to be clear though, the "Trooper" name has been used since long before the MK III. I think they started about 1954 or so, even before the Python. They are simply a Python without the vent rib barrel and the fancy finish. Sort of Colts answer to the Model 28, with the Python becoming their Model 27.

Reactions: msharley
1 - 20 of 23 Posts