Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received a 357 Magnum revolver. I have been trying to accurately identify this gun though online research and I believe it is a Registered Magnum but there are inconsistencies that have been brought to my attention by a proclaimed gun expert.

First off, what makes me believe the gun is an RM: on the yoke are the markings: REG 3943 and below that 12495. Serial number listed in the yoke is 55843.
Irregularities brought to my attention: Model 19 grips, no serial number engraved in the barrel.

I'm new to guns and have little experience and no expertise. I'd really like to know your opinions as to what this gun is and if it is a Registered Magnum as I suspect or a model-19 as suggested by one?

Thank you in advance for for your thoughts and feedback.
Hand Everyday carry Automotive lighting Material property Bicycle part
Air gun Hood Trigger Yellow Automotive exterior
Wood Auto part Metal Personal protective equipment Helmet
Office supplies Writing implement Office equipment Publication Material property
Revolver Sleeve Material property Everyday carry Gun accessory
Revolver Trigger Gas Bullet Gun accessory
Personal protective equipment Goggles Auto part Metal Fashion accessory

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Welcome from Iowa.
Wow, That's a great way to start your introduction! It certainly is a Registered Magnum. It has several desirable features like the hump back hammer.
It has nothing to do with the 19. That is a K-Frame. The RM is an S, or large frame.
In 1957 it became the M27.
Shoot the heck out of it.:cool:
Jim

·
Banned
9,646 Posts
Hey SG,

Welcome to S&W!

Way to go!

Pics of a FINE RM.............right out the gate!!

Good for you!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
15,085 Posts
Yep, a registered magnum for sure. The grips are much newer than the gun, but are not model 19 grips, as the m19 has a smaller frame. The serial number is on the cylinder face, butt of the grip frame, under your target grips, and in the ejector rod cutout right to the left and above of where it says REG3943

·
Premium Member
20,370 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! What a nice prize! Tell me you got it for a Model 19 price. Even with the rust, that gun is probably worth north of $3000. Clean it up and put some period correct stocks on it and CHA CHING! It just so happens that I have some pre-war magna stocks that would make that gun righteous. So, send it to me and I'll take care of it. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! What a nice prize! Tell me you got it for a Model 19 price. Even with the rust, that gun is probably worth north of $3000. Clean it up and put some period correct stocks on it and CHA CHING! It just so happens that I have some pre-war magna stocks that would make that gun righteous. So, send it to me and I'll take care of it. ;)
If I were to seek period correct grips, where might you recommend I begin a search at?

·
Premium Member
13,222 Posts
After removing the grips, stabilize all the active rust oxidation.

Do this using "0000" very fine steel or bronze wool, well oiled, on the well oiled blued surface. Let the oil soak into the rust areas before carefully applying the oiled steel or bronze wool. Where the rust has advanced you may find pitting. Leave it to continue rusting and it will develop pitting.

The magnetite bluing is harder than steel, so you won't damage it unless you rub too hard and too long. Then you may gall the surface itself.

It would be worth having someone check the action for rust and properly lubricate the gun. If you have experiencing with S&W actions, you can do this yourself - otherwise find a competent gunsmith experienced in working on S&W revolvers.

Talk to Guy about his grips. That's a kind offer if he's not joking but actually offering to sell them.

·
Registered
514 Posts
If I were to seek period correct grips, where might you recommend I begin a search at?
Original stocks were numbered to the gun, so that is a big minus. A pair of originals may cost in the area of $700 for magna's that were usually supplied with guns with the HB hammer. What did you have to pay for that revolver? Also, get it lettered. Some of those RM's were purchased by famous people. Have it professionally cleaned. That revolver is worth a bundle. Big Larry

·
Registered
834 Posts
Thank you for posting that magnificent pistol. I really appreciate getting to see a Registered Magnum, they are so scarce. Please give us some more of the back story on this aquisition and thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
35,109 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Great Smith and yes as noted a Registered Magnum!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for posting that magnificent pistol. I really appreciate getting to see a Registered Magnum, they are so scarce. Please give us some more of the back story on this aquisition and thanks again.
It came to me from a friend of our family. In his 90’s and in deteriorating health. The gun had been his personal defense weapon in the house for more than 40 years. He recently realize he no longer had the physical strength to hold, aim or shoot. His wife offer to take it to the local police department and turn it in. Fortunately, he had different ideas and thought to call me to see if I or someone in our immediate family was interested. We were and so now we are it’s custodians for the foreseeable future. I’m looking forward to maintaining the trueness and the gun and will get it preserved and serviced with that thought in mind.

·
Premium Member
13,222 Posts
Good. You hold history in your hand.

Reactions: SGrabo

·
Registered
514 Posts
A friend of mine got to shoot the RM that once belonged to Retired Col. Walter Walsh, USMC, and also retired FBI agent.
We are sure this was the revolver used to kill a Public Enemy #1 back in the day. He was also accredited with shooting a Japanese sniper out of a tree at 75 yards with his 45 auto. He was a triple distinguished shooter and one of the best shooters ever in the USMC. He was also my Dads USMC Pistol Team leader. His magnum has had the trigger guard cut out, but in pretty good shape. The revolver now belongs to his Son Walter Walsh Jr. Big Larry

·
Registered
15,085 Posts
A friend of mine got to shoot the RM that once belonged to Retired Col. Walter Walsh, USMC, and also retired FBI agent.
We are sure this was the revolver used to kill a Public Enemy #1 back in the day. He was also accredited with shooting a Japanese sniper out of a tree at 75 yards with his 45 auto. He was a triple distinguished shooter and one of the best shooters ever in the USMC. He was also my Dads USMC Pistol Team leader. His magnum has had the trigger guard cut out, but in pretty good shape. The revolver now belongs to his Son Walter Walsh Jr. Big Larry
Would like to see that one

·
Premium Member
20,370 Posts
Larry, that wouldn't happen to be David Carroll, would it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep, a registered magnum for sure. The grips are much newer than the gun, but are not model 19 grips, as the m19 has a smaller frame. The serial number is on the cylinder face, butt of the grip frame, under your target grips, and in the ejector rod cutout right to the left and above of where it says REG3943
Thank you for your input. I misspoke earlier and referenced the barrel as opposed to citing the face of the cylinder where there is no serial number. There is no serial number on the face of the cylinder of this gun as I have seen in other documented RM’s. What would you make of that relevant fact about this gun. Is that fact material?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts