Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 29 classic that is used very little and looks brand new (very light cylinder drag). Got it for $500. Problem is that it is blued and has a long barrel. Not very convenient for woods carry. I would rather have a 629 stainless with a 4" barrel. The guy at the local gun shop offered a trade: he has a 629 with a 4" barrel, stainless. He said he bought the gun personally about 10 years ago. It looks like it is in excellent condition. He offered $600 for my gun, plus I would pay him $100 dollars extra. Two problems: I don't know if this is a good deal; I don't know how to determine if his gun really is in good shape. Any thoughts and guidance would be appreciated.

·
Registered
975 Posts
dc2
If it costs you a gun you don't want and a $100 to get a gun you want, it is a good deal.
If the 629 is pinned and recessed it is a great deal.
As far as the condition of the 629, look it over close. Shake it, if it rattles to much it might be shot loose. Check for cylinder play. Most people don't shoot their .44 Magnums enough to shoot them loose. Dry fire it a couple times and check for hammer push off. If you see a small flaw in the gun, tell him you will trade gun for gun and $50.
Go for it.
[email protected]

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
DC2,
PM me
I will offer you a much sweeter deal

Gearchecker

1 - 3 of 3 Posts