Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That is, a 13-2 that wasn't originally a 3" barrel version when it left the factory? Like, one that was a much more common 4" but was then cut down to 3"?

I ask because I know this can happen and does frequently happen with certain other, usually highly desirable (e.g. the Colt Python 3"), guns. I'm interested in buying a 3-inch barreled 13-2, blued, simply due to the fact that that was the FBI gun (standard-issue service pistol) for a while (early '70s to late '80s as best I can determine) and was wielded by one of my favorite fictitious FBI agents:

Oh, and for those who know: what was their duty ammo for these guns? I seem to recall it was 158 LSWCHP +P's in .38 and Winchester 148gr Silvertips in .357 Magnum - is this correct? Anyone know the brand of .38 that was used? I'd go for Buffalo Bore but I'm pretty sure they weren't around then and if so I doubt the FBI would've been using them :)

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I'm not the Model 13 guru, but from '84-'95 and '84-'86, it came factory with a 3" barrel.
As per the SCSW, pg 180.

Nevermind, now I see the 15-2 was prior to those years.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Im sure there have been cut down model 13s, but S&W did make a 3inch bbl. mod. 13, round butt that was used by the FBI. I think it replaced the mod.10-6 . It would be a nice handling revolver I'm thinking, Mike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not the Model 13 guru, but from '84-'95 and '84-'86, it came factory with a 3" barrel.
As per the SCSW, pg 180.
Huh. Well if that's true I certainly learned something today, I was under the impression that the 4" barrel was standard and the 3" barrel was just done mainly as a special order for the FBI with the occasional surplus ones leaking out onto the private market.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Someone will verify.
Product codes will be 100304 and 100308, these would NOT be Pinned Barrel guns. The 15-2 is pinned.
15-3 was THE production change when the pin was discontinued.
You can google them, or type it into completed GB auctions and check 'em out.

Both are round butts, the 308 is Nickel. :p
The 304 is Blued. :D

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have been looking for a 13-2 P&R 3" for quite a while never seen one local. Only seen one 13-3 3" locally and it now resides in my safe. There have been quite a few 4" relatively.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The 3" 13 was made for 11 years so I imagine more than just the FBI agents got them. The model 10-6 in a 2.5 " barrel was a special run for the FBI and Michigan SP. That said I would think that some M13 s have been rebarreled to 3" but does that make them fake? Dunno.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 3" 13 was made for 11 years so I imagine more than just the FBI agents got them. The model 10-6 in a 2.5 " barrel was a special run for the FBI and Michigan SP. That said I would think that some M13 s have been rebarreled to 3" but does that make them fake? Dunno.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk
If they were rebarreled by S&W? Mmmmm...probably not, I'd be willing to take one of those and call it acceptable. What I had in mind was gunsmiths (amateur and professional) cutting down or rebarreling 4" M13s to the 3" configuration.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
I'm thinking that while some 4in guns might have been made in round butt , most , if not all 3in guns were round butt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts