Smith And Wesson Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,116 Posts
The Ruger 10/22... the Barbie Doll for men... "accessories optional".

This 10/22 dates back to 1976, and was my first rifle. It stayed completely stock until a few years ago, when the customizing bug hit me.

There are times when I contemplate buying a newer 10/22 to put all of the custom stuff on, and return this one back to it's original condition for sentimental reasons, being it was my first long gun.

Wood Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun

·
Read Only
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The Ruger 10/22... the Barbie Doll for men... "accessories optional".

This 10/22 dates back to 1976, and was my first rifle. It stayed completely stock until a few years ago, when the customizing bug hit me. There are times
when I rethink things and contemplate buying a newer 10/22 to put all of the custom stuff on, and return this one back to original.

View attachment 533649
That's a good looking rifle. I've built 10 of them so far. Each one different than the others. Each one with its own personality.

·
Premium Member
3,116 Posts
That's a good looking rifle. I've built 10 of them so far. Each one different than the others. Each one with its own personality.
Thanks!

The stock started out as an off the shelf Revolution stock. I customized it by reshaping the forend to a beavertail style forend, and added a Redwood Burl tip.

Wood Liver Rectangle Woolen Rope

Wood Hardwood Wood stain Varnish Chopsticks

On the reverse side, the Monte Carlo check piece is covered with Redwood Burl veneer to match the forend tip. I also "skeletonized"
the area below the cheek piece to lighten the stock and give it some additional pizazz.

These pics shows a high gloss urethane finish, I didn't care for the results at all, so I stripped the stock and went with a gun stock finish
called Permalyn, from Laurel Mountain Forge. It's allows you to vary the sheen by the number of coats applied and hand buffing, I went with a semi-gloss (shown in my previous post. Permalyn has become my go-to finish for handgun grips and rifle stocks.

Plant Cuisine Automotive parking light Tints and shades Wood

·
Read Only
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks!

The stock started out as an off the shelf Evolution stock. I customized it by reshaping the forend to a beavertail style forend, and then added a Redwood Burl tip.

View attachment 533670

On the reverse side, the Monte Carlo check piece is covered with Redwood Burl veneer to match the forend tip.

View attachment 533668
You had me wondering about the stock. I have a number of Revolution stocks myself, and thought I recognized the profile. But the customization you'd done had me thinking it might be an old Fajen stock. I like it!

·
Read Only
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Plant Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun

Scope height; 1.5 million miles traveled on America's highways and surface roads with various idiots that don't pay attention resulted in me being rear-ended 11 times. Some of them hard enough to completely crush in the back of my truck. I'm disabled with extensive damage to my neck and spine, leaving me unable to get my head down very low on the comb of the stock so I use high rings rather than suffer. It really doesn't hinder anything, I only use the rifles at either 50 yards or 100 yards, and I merely adjust parallax and elevation depending on the range I'm shooting.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
I guess you could call me a fan. But, I only have one and I had some complaints. I fixed them. I can't believe I can't find a pic, but if I find one, I'll add it later.

I bought mine in 2017 only because I never owned one and my LGS had one on display in the M1 Carbine configuration from the factory, $300. After my first trip to the range, I replaced the trigger with the BX. The apperture sights were a joke and refused to lock into position. I replaced them with Tech Sights TDR200. Perfect. Then I took it to a small competition because I was very happy with its accuracy. Unfortunately, the bolt release is a pain in the "action" when you're on the clock. I replaced it with an aftermarket from Valquarsen, allowing me to release the bolt more easily after a mag change.

I love shooting this little carbine. I have plenty of 22lr stockpiled. I've since tried a Vortex scope (not enough eye relief for the short stock) and a Vortex red/green dot cantilevered. The red/green dot works very well. I usually shoot it 25 to 100 yards in that configuration. I haven't tried to push it further, yet.

Picture update: I broke down and pulled it out for a couple of quick pics. Nothing exotic. Just looks like a M1 carbine. I have a 15 round mag I could have put in, but didn't think of it. I should remember to get pics at the range next time.
Air gun Trigger Shotgun Luggage and bags Gun barrel

Trigger Air gun Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

Shown here with the Vortex Strikefire II (1/2" MOA). It came with the rail for the Ruger sight. I remove the rail to install the Tech Sights TDR200.

·
Read Only
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I usually shoot it 25 to 100 yards in that configuration. I haven't tried to push it further, yet.
I have, merely out of curiosity. With the right barrel it's consistent enough, but naturally being a .22LR there's a lot of holdover. I keep the 10/22's at 100 yards or less, anything beyond that I'll use something centerfire. I've used .30-06, .308 and .243 for years and years, but with the condition of my spine I no longer enjoy using them. That, and the current cost and availability of certain calibers makes me all the more willing and happy to use the 'mere' .22LR. All I do is target shoot anyway, so I figure why spend more to make holes? And they're so much damned fun. I have a T/C Contender and one of its barrels is a 14" in .223. If I shoot anything beyond 100 yards I've gotten into the habit of using that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have one purchased in 1974. I've kept it bone stock. Still shoots squirrels out of trees and 40 yards with open sights. In my opinion it is the best .22 plinker ever produced.

·
Registered
28,117 Posts
What part of that rifle is Ruger 10-22 OEM?
The receiver shell

By the time you do all of that, you could buy an accurate Anschutz

·
Registered
28,117 Posts
I have one but I prefer my marlin 60 better as the stock is more adult sized

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
About 5 years ago, I purchased a 10/22 used. It came with a mounted scope and was made in 1983. It has metal parts rather than the plastic parts being used by Ruger in recent times. In 1986, I purchased a 10/22 from a hardware store. My son and I shot it and I transferred it to him.

There are still plenty of older 10/22s in my area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 10/22 for squirrel and rabbits. Weaver 3X9 Rimfire Scope, Volquartson Carbon Fiber Barrel, Trigger work, and camo stock and sling. I don't remember the brand for the stock. 50-yard target with CCI Subsonic HP.
Water Liquid Automotive tire Vehicle Reptile
Water Automotive tire Tool Tire Audio equipment
Nose Head Eye Facial expression Mouth

21 - 39 of 39 Posts