Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked at the specs for this pistol and they don't include this information.

Does anyone here know?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,275 Posts
Page 11 of the owners manual says:

“Plus-P” (+P) ammunition generates pressures in excess of the pressures associated with standard ammunition. Such pressures may affect the wear characteristics and may result in the need for more frequent service. • “Plus-P-Plus” (+P+) ammunition must not be used in Smith & Wesson firearms

·
Super Moderator
19,331 Posts
“Plus-P-Plus” (+P+) ammunition". There is no such specification. It's whatever the ammo maker wants to build the pressure levels to that make them happy.
I strongly advise to never shoot +P+ labeled ammo in any firearm. Modern or not.

SAMMI only lists 4 cartridges with +P rating. If it isn't one of the 4, the ammo is loaded beyond the recommended specs for that particular cartridge.
If a pistol and or gun owners manual does not specifically state that the pistol is safe to use with +P ammunition, you should never use it.
It may become dangerous, and will speed up the wear and tear on the gun.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Part of the design of the EZ series is to provide for much lighter perceived recoil. Given that, I would no way put +P into one of them. Get a gun designed for heavier duty if that is what you want to shoot.

·
Registered
12,275 Posts
“Plus-P-Plus” (+P+) ammunition". There is no such specification. It's whatever the ammo maker wants to build the pressure levels to that make them happy.
I strongly advise to never shoot +P+ labeled ammo in any firearm. Modern or not.

SAMMI only lists 4 cartridges with +P rating. If it isn't one of the 4, the ammo is loaded beyond the recommended specs for that particular cartridge.
If a pistol and or gun owners manual does not specifically state that the pistol is safe to use with +P ammunition, you should never use it.
It may become dangerous, and will speed up the wear and tear on the gun.
There is no specification for it, but a few manufacturers make it, or did in the past.

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
There really is no need for +P; if you want more power, go 38Super, 9x21, 9x23, 9TSW or step up to 10mm

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for your replies.

And no, I've no plans to shoot +P, simply curious.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Funny how those pesky facts get in the way of a good yarn...
Please good sir, take your "facts" in S&W manual's black and white, and put them away post haste, they have no place here!
Actually, that's good to know, I know a lot of folks that have showed interest in the 9EZ, and there is a lot of premium JHPs around for it that are +p (well, there was, anyhow...)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts