Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know if the Model 651-1 4" stainless steel .22 Magnum is a true J-Frame round butt? The factory grips that come on the gun are oversize rubber or plastic with finger grooves and they "look" like they're round butt. But I fear that they are square butt underneath those grips. I say this because every photo I can find with a Bing image search that shows the gun with standard wood grips is a square butt.

My dad hand made a set of wood J-Frame round butt grips and I'd like a gun to put them on. A 4" .22 Magnum J-Frame sounds perfect and I could actually use the gun. I already have a 40-1 .38 Special but the grips won't fit the 40-1's hammerless/grip safety grip. I don't really need another .38 Special J-Frame. But a .22 Magnum would be neat.

So I really need to know if the 651-1 4" is really a round but that my dad's grips will fit on. He passed away in 2004 and I'd love to put these grips on a gun again.

This is what it looks like (screen grab from Bing):

And this is what it looks like with wood grips (not sure if there is a 651 and a 651-1 difference) and this one is a square butt:

Anyone know for sure?

-Steve

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Steve, I had a post 1996 one a while back w/ round butt & later thumbpiece. IMNVHO .22 magnum is a very underrated cartridge.

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,960 Posts
the 650 is a round butt with 3" barrel.. i usually have a set of banana grips on it .. this one has gone on many local fishing trips..
nice little fireball at dusk.. 95876yt

650_01_small.jpg

these days its been supplanted on field trips by the 4" birdshead Ruger single-seven in .327 federal though...

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sir
From the big S&W book.
651-1 came out in 1992 as a square butt. Switched to round butt only in 1996.
I found a square butt and got some KB grips for it.
[email protected]
Thank you! So S&W initially made them with a square butt then changed over. This one is a round butt then. We have copperheads and cottonmouths and several friends say that the .22 lr isn't quite as reliable killing snakes as the .22 Magnum is. I carry my 40-1 now with a .38 special CCI snake load and then four 110 grain hollow points. I'd like a gun for my wife to carry when she's out walking in our fields and woods and a four inch .22 Magnum like this would be great for her. And the fact that I can put my dad's grips on it would be just outstanding!

Thanks again for your help! I'll post pics if I get it!

-Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts