Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up a P&R Model 66 (my first Smith!) at a pawn shop for $400 in well-used condition. I'm having trouble figuring out if it's a 66-1 or a no-dash. The model number is just stamped MODEL 66, no dash number, but it has the orange-insert front ramp and black rear sight which I thought was one of the features of the 66-1. Serial number starts with 9K2.
I know they moved the gas ring, but as this is my first Smith & Wesson, I don't know exactly what a yoke-mounted gas ring looks like vs. a cylinder-mounted gas ring.

Wha'd I buy, y'all? :D

·
Super Moderator
10,857 Posts
Your serial dates the gun to 1976 and the -1 engendering change was released in 1977.

Model 66 no dash, per the marking on the frame.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
okto,

S&W, wasting nothing, will often ship guns with mixed characteristics of different engineering (dash models) changes. These are referred to as "transitional" guns.
Your 66 frame may have been near the end of the run before the dash 1 changes fully encorporated, and it is possible some of the early dash 1 parts were used to complete the older frame. Manufacture dates and actual shipping dates can vary by months or years.

It is not inconceivable that there exist dash 1 models of the 66 without the gas ring change, and/or without the red ramp insert, that is to say, a 66-1 with any (or all) 66 no dash characteristics.

(takingalittlesaltwithguninfo)Mike

·
Registered
755 Posts
Well since he brought it up. I have a model 681 in a owners manual it shows a gas ring before the spring inside the cylinder close to the star but inside. While cleaning my gun I found no such ring......so first what is a gas ring? should I have one and do they tend to stick in the cylinder? maybe it didn't come out when I cleaned it? Then this fella says something about yolk mounted?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welp, I'm pleased as punch to learn that it is in fact a no-dash. I like old things, and finding out this one was built after the problem-fixers got at it but before the cost-cutters did makes me happy. Can't wait to see how she shoots!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
As others have said, it is probably a "transitional" gun. As far as the moving the gas ring. I have a couple of pics that I believe shows the differences rather well.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I'm not trying to be hardheaded or trying ti hijack the thread but my owners booklet show a bushing looking thing that goes in before the cylinder spring and it is labeled as a gas ring anybody have any ideas

·
Premium Member
18,745 Posts
@okto -- The first engineering change on the 66 in 1977 (66-1) was to move the gas ring back to the yoke.

@ hmitch -- That sounds like a shim or bushing for setting the cylinder/forcing cone gap. Brownells calls them gas ring shims, for example. Can you scan it and post a picture or take a picture and post that?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Thanks Guy i hope you can see these. # 10 is my question when i took my cylinder apart i didn't find this. im guessing it could have been stuck in there . IMG_0288.JPG IMG_0289.JPG

·
Premium Member
18,745 Posts
Well, if they call it a gas ring, I guess that's what it is. Doesn't make much sense to me to place it there when the idea is to prevent gasses from passing over the extractor rod. But, then, I'm not a gunsmith.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts