Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may not be the best place to ask the question, but I thought I'd at least start here. I've been told it is unwise, even unsafe to fire a slug in shotguns with full chokes as the compression and clearance out the barrel could be too tight and would possibly cause an ugly event. I have no desire to try it, but I do have a couple of older shotguns with full chokes and I do have slug shells around. Anyone?

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
Old timers have always told me it was OK, I never did nor will I. I use sabots out of a rifled shotgun barrel.

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
BC2, I would think that it would be OK, since the constriction for a full choke is not that extreme. I doubt that the slug would get stuck in the barrel. However........I ain't gonna try it!!!! :eek: :lol: Bob

·
Registered
570 Posts
it depends.. the foster style slug ( hollow base ) slugs would swage down to fit the choke the accuracy is probally not going to be the best and probally not the best thing for the gun either.......

Now Brenneke shotgun slugs are a different animal all together..(solid slug, fiber base )... You "probally" could shoot one through a full choke if you wanted too...ONCE... and i'm willing to bet it be intresting to watch.... they don't constrict like the hollow base foster slugs will...... think of a 1,200 fps lead plug.......

you best bet would be to either use cylinder bore or improved cylinder maybe even modified with the foster style...but for full choke stick with shot.....

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't have anyway, but I'm VERY positive now that it's not the thing to do and I will caution others against it, thanks folks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Re: Is it safe to fire a solid slug thru a full choke shotgu

If the choke is not added but built into the barrel,
why not ream the choke out of the barrel ?

Just figure out the proper size drill bit and have at it.

12 ga slugs remind me of old muzzleloaders only
more convenient.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts

Blackcloud2 said:
I wouldn't have anyway, but I'm VERY positive now that it's not the thing to do and I will caution others against it, thanks folks!
Horse Pucky... ;)

I'm been doing it since I started shooting shotguns almost 50 years ago.

One of the most accurate slug guns was my Old Man's Remington Model 11 which was a 30" Full Choke gun. It used to shoot those old 1 oz Remington "Sluggers" like a rifle.

You have more to worry about from alien invasion from Mars....

·
Registered
497 Posts

My grandfather once told me he was sighting in a shotgun for deer season in Upstate and wasn't hitting the target with slugs. He said that they were falling short of the target because it was a full choke gun. I don't remember the all the details, but he got a lot of deer with other shotguns later.

·
Registered
57 Posts

I would like to know the bore diameters of
normal 12 ga smooth bores vs 12 ga rifled barrels
and then the smallest diameter of full choke tubes.

These I would compare to the hollow base foster
slug diameters. I think it is possible they dont
fit the bore tightly anyway. Besides, arent
they surrounded by the shot wad until they
exit the barrel ?

G

·
0 Posts

What Drew Said.kfjdrfirii

Ken

W

·
0 Posts

With the proliferation of layers, you can have absolute faith that it is not a problem, else there would be 5 pages of disclamers, and a rent-a-shyster card attached. I speak with some authority. Although I am not a lawer, I kept a rather nice fishing boat down in Los Barriles, just north of Cabo San Lucas. When you do that you automaticly acquire a plethora of layers, and yes judges, as ersatz friends!

Willie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts