Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone. I'm a new M&P 380 Shield EZ owner. Love the pistol in every way but one, and hope to get your thoughts on the matter.

First time at the range, out of the box, the pistol would stove pipe, as well as experience failure to feed. It would happen every second or third magazine.

So, as a test, I gripped the pistol with an iron wrist over several magazine loads and it ran beautifully (and my rapid fire shooting vastly improved as well). Then, I deliberately shot the pistol with a limp wrist, and sure enough, the issues immediately came back.

Assuming the same behavior on my next outing, is this considered acceptable? In the real world, we may not have the luxury of an iron grip on the firearm every shot.

All ammo was factory (no reloads). Also should mention that I've never experienced this problem from my Kahr, CZ, or LCP.

Thank you for your thoughts in asvance...

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Welcome. In the real world “limp writing” a semi auto is a real problem. If you don’t keep your wrist rigid, the movement of your hand takes the momentum out of the slide. Just one of the quirks about semi autos people have to learn.

Keep shooting it and muscle memory will take over!

·
Premium Member
10,825 Posts
You have to provide the proper support for any semi-automatic pistol to cycle properly.

Find a local gun club or shop that offers the NRA Basic Pistol class and take it. It's a good class, helps you develop safe handling habits and will give you quite a bit of good background information of your new handgun.

Marc

·
Registered
17,580 Posts
Pretty sure it is a blowback operating system (others ca correct if needed) and a limp wrist will cause FTF. The link below does explain the differences in the two types of systems. One more reason I like to shoot them but want to carry my revolver. Being older it is more forgiving.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/blowback-versus-recoil/

·
Registered
22,264 Posts
Welcome to the forum!:)

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
are buy a good revolver. In all the years I had to carry an auto as primary, one or another J frame was backup. Yes, you could jam a revolver but it was much harder to do. I have had handloads jump crimp or hang on a high primer but never factory ammo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, everyone, for your thoughts and welcome. Seems like it's on me to develop good form and habits.

Already looking forward to my next range outing.

·
Premium Member
10,825 Posts
Practice without adequate coaching will lead to developing bad habits and setting them into your muscle memory. You can take things only so far on your own or with friends.

In any cases, best of wishes. Remember, a tight grip is not necessarily a stable shooting stance.

Here's a diagnostic target to get you started:

Correction.jpg

(You can also spend more burning up ammo than a proper basic pistol class will cost you)...

Reactions: Philo and Injunbro

·
Registered
802 Posts
My Shield EZ had no malfunctions for several hundred rounds and many range trips. However, "time before last" I had a stovepipe on the last round in one magazine. When I got home I decided perhaps I needed to clean the magazines as well as the gun. As things turned out, I took two of them apart. The insides and springs were not a bit dirty, but the orange followers had a lot of black on them, especially that one magazine. So I thoroughly cleaned the followers and the next range trip all was well again.

Adding: I have found that if you do not have a high and tight grip, fully depressing that "upside down" grip safety, the gun just plain won't fire at all. With my very weak right hand and arthritis damage, it is almost impossible for me to get a high and tight enough grip. However, since I changed to shooting left handed close to 2 years ago, when I hold the Shield in my left hand IT WORKS. And.....I have exactly the same situation with my Browning 1911-22. Being a 1911, it has a "right side up" grip safety, but it still needs a high and firm grip, just like all guns. I LOVE the fact that the mag release is reversible!

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Normal? Yes. Acceptable? Not to me! The .380 EZ has the softest slide I've ever seen so if it doesn't work for you, you really need to consider a revolver.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Here is the best video I've seen on grip and stance. Absolutely NO yada, yada, blah, blah like so many YT videos. Just straight, well illustrated, information that is helpful for people "of all persuasions." The fact that the mother and daughter team who made the video have the last name of Miculek makes it even better (for me anyway!)

NOTICE how high both hands are and that the top of the index finger on the supporting hand is up tight against the bottom of the trigger guard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okgmmHzoMtA

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
Welcome aboard from the "GunShine"state of Florida. weiweinp

State of over 2 MILLION 21 THOUSAND Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Here is the best video I've seen on grip and stance. Absolutely NO yada, yada, blah, blah like so many YT videos. Just straight, well illustrated, information that is helpful for people "of all persuasions." The fact that the mother and daughter team who made the video have the last name of Miculek makes it even better (for me anyway!)

NOTICE how high both hands are and that the top of the index finger on the supporting hand is up tight against the bottom of the trigger guard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okgmmHzoMtA
Great video and covers the basics nicely!

To the OP .. some guns just seem more prone to limp wrist problems than others. Had a CZ turkish Clone and my wife would stove pipe that thing every other shot. I thought it was the gun and am fairly handy with tinkering but I couldn't identify the problem because each time I picked it up and tried to make it happen it wouldn't!! Argh ..

So I realized there was nothing wrong with the gun and watched my wife a bit more carefully and worked on her grip just a touch and ... Wala .. never happened again. This particular gun happened to be an alloy frame and I think the lighter weight is what messed her up because she never had trouble with other guns but ..

I will say this and then wait for the Boo's and hisses but are you shooting Thumb over thumb or thumbs forward?

I tried to teach my wife thumbs forward and it just wasn't happening. She shot fine for years thumb over thumb and I decided .. there is not right way or wrong way but your way and told her to forget everything I said about thumbs forward and return to thumb over thumb and she can shoot very HOT 38 without so much as an inch of muzzle movement. Just because something works well for one person doesn't mean it works for everyone. She gets a very high grip but thumb over thumb. You might want to give it a shot and see if you have better results.

She almost always shots revolver now but even when she shoots semi auto she does seem to have much better control with that grip.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you, again, everyone. My plan is to take it to the range and get 100% reliability, using good factory ammo, since it's intended for concealed carry. If it's not reliable 100% of the time, will contact S&W for assistance.

I do find the experience odd, since I've never encountered this problem before, but will refrain from drawing any hard conclusions till I put in more range time. In the meantime, have given it a good cleaning and oiling, so perhaps that will make a difference. Will see.

·
Registered
12,717 Posts
Right out of the box? Did you clean it first to get the shipping rust preventative off first? THAT can also cause issues

Reactions: Boriqua

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, the first time out was right out of the box. I've never heard of the rust preventative, but it makes sense. Will take it out again in a few days and provide an update for anyone curious about the outcome.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts