Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
'For me', the .38 round is a bit deficient in stopping power, I want there to be no doubt, a caliber that on the very first shot will put a man (anywhere on the body), down without question and have the same power at a distance if needed...
I have a few questions. How much experience do you have with the .44 Magnum? Do you hunt? What exactly do you mean by "at a distance"?

·
Super Moderator
19,238 Posts
If you want more power and conceal-ability, you might want to consider the model 66, or the 686, both in .357 magnum and short barrel configurations. Sticking with the higher powered loads will do the trick, The frame size in the 66 is identical to the M-15 you have now, and the 686 is just slightly larger.
For open carry, it really doesn't matter what the frame size is, other than the sheer weight of the 629 n-frame 44 magnum revolvers when loaded.
For concealed carry you want something more easily hidden with less bulk..
The m-69 has an internal lock IIRC, and that's just one more thing to go wrong when the times get rough. Having it in the L-frame is a bonus, because like the 686 it's frame is nearly identical to what you currently carry.
It's your call, but be wary of wanting too much.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Question: What does a bad guy do when you when you shoot him in a non-vital area?

Answer: The same thing he was doing right before you shot him.

I didn't read that in a gun magazine or on the internet; it's something I know from personal experience. As mentioned, placement is more important than caliber. That free advice is worth exactly what you paid for it if you never have to use a gun. If you do, it's priceless.

I can't tell you what caliber/style/size weapon to carry because I'm not qualified to do so. I will say this, carry something you will always have and can operate, fire accurately & rapidly; emphasis on fire accurately.

·
Registered
19,553 Posts
I carried a 3" GP100 for a time and after a while you don't even notice the weight. I have also CC my 4" model 28-2 with no problems or issues. If .44 magnum is what you desire to use as your EDC then good for you! As long as you feel proficient and confident with the firearm your good to go. JMHO:cool:

·
Premium Member
9,946 Posts
To answer your question, your selection of firearm comes down to the reason you are buying it.

When you consider a large caliber revolver, you have to answer the question "why is it necessary to carry the additional weight and bulk" and does it balance your intended usage.

If you are just selecting it to have the biggest and baddest revolver in the pool, think again.

Your ability to defend yourself with it in all cases comes down to your experience, training, muscular development and ability.

That ability includes every phase of concealing, drawing and shooting a handgun. With a large caliber short barrel handgun, it's particularly important to be able to manage the recoil efficiently and recover quickly in follow through.

If you can't draw efficiently, deal with the recoil and follow through directly back on a moving target the handgun is useless because you'll likely miss the target, and can hit an innocent bystander. Same with over penetration of an excessively powerful round.

Shot placement is not just the first shot. It's every shot.

If I were you, I'd seek some competent tactical training.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
I once knew an Army helicopter pilot that survived taking a Russian .51 in the belly. I suppose the bird itself and the range involved played a role in the incident. The point is there is no miracle cartridge. A renown elephant hunter W.D.M. Bell largely used a .275 Rigby (7X57) or a .303 Lee-Enfield. Paraphrased: 180 grains in the right place does the job; 500 grains in the wrong place and it gets exciting.

Carry what you can comfortably, shoot well and re-shoot rather quickly. Even if it comes down to a lesser caliber. Shot placement is king; penetration is queen; the rest we debate....

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you get the weight of the gun sorted out, then the issue is the powerful recoil. In 40+ years of shooting I’ve only seen a few people that could handle a 4” and down 44 mag well enough to use for defense. 1st shot, no problem. Handling the recoil for follow ups becomes a huge problem for most including myself. I used to carry a .357 which I can handle pretty well, but with all the innovations in the ammo world there are a lot of +P 38 Special loads that will perform as well if not better than a 357 magnum especially out of a short barrel revolver with a lot less recoil. My favorite saying is carry what you can handle and shoot the best. A hit with a 22 is much better than a miss with a 44 magnum.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
An L frame 69 would be a better bet IMO.
That said, it really is placement not power that yields success.
A handgun that is a sure one shot stop anywhere on a body Does Not Exist.
If I were going to carry a 44 for personal protection and didn't like the weight of a 29 or 629.

I think, I would give the model 69 a serious close look.

As for factory ammo, I'd look to Underwood 190gr SWCHP 44 Spl load.

If one is cruising the tall and un-cut, and need something for the four legged carnivores.

Ya can up the loading to a magnum round.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I have a few questions. How much experience do you have with the .44 Magnum? Do you hunt? What exactly do you mean by "at a distance"?
Nope, I've never owned a .44 magnum.

No, I don't hunt (unless you count after midnight during a full moon, on a Saturday night on the town). icon_biggrin.gif

I mean it packs a tremendous wallop from across the room as if it were close up, although the over-penetration component is something to keep in mind... icon_nixweiss.gif

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
Carry a 2” 500 mate, all the stopping power you need..:)

Thewelshm

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Carry a 2” 500 mate, all the stopping power you need..:)

Thewelshm
And if you don't knock them down with the first shot you will at least set them on fire, and that's not a bad thing.

bob

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
And if you don't knock them down with the first shot you will at least set them on fire, and that's not a bad thing.

bob
njgapjgj

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
Is it too heavy.

Not if that is what you choose to carry.

bob
Without reading 3 pages of opinion, I will say I carry my 44RM 29 long barrel 'Dirty Harry Special' concealed, well, sort of. Better be wearing a floppy windbreaker or jacket with a drawstring waist and a really stout belt, cinched tight or suspenders and a belt or risk flashing everyone with your bare butt because it will pull your drawers down.nfiofnp

Carry it in a DeSantis leather tooled holster btw.

it's doable but it's heavy and gravity always wins.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
One of the main reason I'm wondering about this matter is, a family member is offering me a 'Custom' Smith & Wesson Model 629 Snub with a 2.5"-barreled, Mag-na-ported, for me to carry if I want it... nvonjvila

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
One of the main reason I'm wondering about this matter is, a family member is offering me a 'Custom' Smith & Wesson Model 629 Snub with a 2.5"-barreled, Mag-na-ported, for me to carry if I want it... nvonjvila
In a 2 1/2" barrel .44 Special is your friend..................Go for it amigo.

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Out of a 2 1/2" barrel .44 Special is your friend..................Go for it amigo.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
When I had my 629 finding 44 special was a pain.

I didnt buy on the internet then so it might be easier than buying locally. of course if you load then its amoot point. Having said all that .. I believe ... 44 special and 45 acp are pretty close in performance and ballistics and Its hard to ignore a 210gr projectile moving at 900fps. If I had a chance to score that 629 you referred to and its not to expensive.. I would be all over it and slip it in a carry holster loaded up with 44 special very happily and feel very good about carrying it.

and

with the 629 if you want to go places that might involve large animals or if you just want to have a bit of fun you can always pick up a box of magnum and have at it.

I personally wouldn't use 44 mag for general self defense carry .. Even when I was much younger and much stronger .. getting that muzzle back on target took a fair bit of time. Does it matter in real world .. I dont know .. but I dont want to find out. 44 special even warm will be a cream puff in that gun

edited to add
So I had to go look

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/speer-gold-dot-44-special-ammo-200-grain-jhp-23980gd-p-108907.aspx

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/hornady-custom-44-special-ammo-180-grain-xtp-jacketed-hollow-point-9070-p-728.aspx

I think that will do very nicely!! Its a bit expensive but you arent going to use it to shoot paper so if the gods are good you are going to shoot a few and make sure they work and then never have to use the balance.

Damnit .. now I want a 44 special! :)

21 - 40 of 86 Posts