Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been contemplating selling my S&W 15-3 (2"barrel), and replacing it with an S&W .44 magnum, maybe the model 629 deluxe or the model 69.

I like that they are single/double action, I just don't like the weight of either, I've looked at both of them in person at my local shop and they are quite weighty...

Oops, did I put this in the wrong category? :eek:

·
Registered
19,444 Posts
It is too heavy to carry, unless you needed it to kill a Grizzly Bear! Where do you live.....Northern Montana? Why are you even considering it? After the first time.......you'll be leaving it behind!!! The M-15-3 2" with +P ammo, should handle just about any medium sized game or person. Think .....before you buy something! :rolleyes: I usually carry a 2" M-10-7 or, in summer a M-36 2". Bob

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
My woods concealed carry handgun is a 4" S&W 29-2 .44 magnum. I carry it in a leather pancake style holster @ 3:00 and speed loaders @ 9:00 on my belt covered by an untucked garment. If I carried it in urban areas, I would load it with .44 specials. I prefer a government model 1911 or 4" .357 magnum revolver for urban carry.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Concealing a .44 ought to be "interesting"... A .44 is a good hunting or defense for large animals but not well suited to carry or defense against 2 legged varmints (over penetration, slow 2nd or 3rd shots, etc.). Whether you buy a .44 or not, I wouldn't sell the 15.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is too heavy to carry, unless you needed it to kill a Grizzly Bear! Where do you live.....Northern Montana? Why are you even considering it? After the first time.......you'll be leaving it behind!!! The M-15-3 2" with +P ammo, should handle just about any medium sized game or person. Think .....before you buy something! :rolleyes: I usually carry a 2" M-10-7 or, in summer a M-36 2". Bob
'For me', the .38 round is a bit deficient in stopping power, I want there to be no doubt, a caliber that on the very first shot will put a man (anywhere on the body), down without question and have the same power at a distance if needed...

·
Registered
203 Posts
"It depends..." is really the correct answer. First assumption is that by 'concealed carry' you mean for 'defensive purposes'.

A large frame revolver trades off a lot compared to a similar size/weight semi-auto for defensive purposes. Big cylinders are bulky, and make IWB carry difficult.
I love my revolvers, but winning a fight is a practical equation, and a modern autochucker brings a lot of capability for the same size and weight. If that fight includes Grizzly bears, that changes the equation... thus the "depends"...

.44mag is one of my favorite calibers, but short barreled .44mags have extreme muzzle blast and recoil with full-power loads, which can be a real liability in a fight. I owned a 3" mag-na-ported 629 for a while, and it was the most abusive gun to shoot I've ever fired. The idea of shooting something like that without eye/ear protection still makes me cringe. Adjusting to .44spl mitigates the problem, at the expense of terminal performance, but you're still probably ahead of typical autochuckers, shot for shot.

Evaluate your potential threats, and shoot some different guns. Ultimately, only you can decide what meets your needs, including what is "too heavy".

I'll just add this: in 25+ years of instructing, I've never recommended .44mag to anyone for urban defensive purposes, and only a few times to those headed to remote areas populated by very large predators. Even then, I would usually recommend a .357mag with appropriate ammunition.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It is way too much overkill. The chance of collateral damage is very high and unless you are always in a high conflict/ dangerous surroundings the probability of using the weapon is slim to none. Please keep in mind the it is a defensive tool and you best offense is your brain. I carry S&W 357C which has enough stopping power and for EDC is more then enough.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
'For me', the .38 round is a bit deficient in stopping power, I want there to be no doubt, a caliber that on the very first shot will put a man (anywhere on the body), down without question and have the same power at a distance if needed...

Yeah, but hand grenades are messy. ;) No round will "on the very first shot will put a man (anywhere on the body), down without question and have the same power at a distance if needed". Sorry, but shot placement not caliber is what works. A .22 will kill a grizzly if accuracy is good but a poorly placed .44 won't stop a housecat.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I guess I'm the exception to the rule.........

I've carried N frame revolvers on and off my entire adult life.

Sometimes concealed, sometimes not....It's all in the rig.

I carried this'n for a short spell, a custom built 44 mag with a thinner barrel.
I like a mid-range loading, kinda like a 250gr SWC at around 1000 fps

I've currently got one on the bench.... another 44 with a 3 1/2" barrel...Pics coming soon.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
You could carry it but the question is, would you carry it? After a few weeks of lugging a brick around, one day are you going to say " I don't need it this time" .... Which leads to next time

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
An L frame 69 would be a better bet IMO.
That said, it really is placement not power that yields success.
A handgun that is a sure one shot stop anywhere on a body Does Not Exist.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts