Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From actual experience, what is best to use to clean/wipe down brand new, out of the box firearms?

What are they coated with coming from the factory, gun oil? nvonjvila

·
Registered
14,481 Posts
I always clean a new gun. Some have a fairly thick coating of whatever they use to prevent corrosion. I use Breakfree CLP or Hoppes#9, but gunscrubber works better as long as lube everything afterwards. I have also used Acetone on some stubborn factory grease

·
Premium Member
12,664 Posts
Many leave the factory with oil in the barrels, and some even have metal chip in a variety of places.

I always clean them. You don't want oil in a barrel because of the hydraulic effect . You don't want chips for the damage they can do. A good once over and field strip is needed.

I use an appropriate cleaning kit with Hoppes cleaning and lubrication chemicals or another penetrating preserving gun oil like RemOil.

Nothing fancy. Just the right stuff.

I also like "Boresnake" type cleaning ropes.

NEVER use WD-40 on firearms. It's a water displacement chemical, not a lubricant or metal preservative.

Do not over clean guns. You'll cause more wear than using the gun will.

·
Registered
19,731 Posts
Any new gun comes with this thing called an Owner's Manual - it really helps to read it so you know how they expect their gun to be cleaned and lubed and where.

·
Registered
19,731 Posts
Hey...
That's condescending not to mention bad grammar. Ban Plz
Only condescending towards idiots - you're not one of those, are you?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Only condescending towards idiots - you're not one of those, are you?
Ah yes, here we go, yet another trouble making social reject.

Does Abby know her dad is an internet troll?

Seek professional medical help for your mental issues and a grammar teacher for your educational shortcomings...

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
But what specifically (product brand wise), do you use? gun wipes, oil clothes, etc?

What is it which guns are all coated in now(new Uberti SAA's)?
Do it just like your cleaning a gun when you get back from the range.

·
Registered
10,996 Posts
I use Hoppes #9 or Ballistol but I don't use Ballistol on nickel platted guns. Ballistol can get under the nickel and cause it to flake off. I think more so on older nickel platted guns that may have some hair line cracks in the platting.

·
Registered
20,893 Posts
I use BREAKFREE CLP for.....everything!!!!! What's this about Hydraulic effect????? The other end of the barrel is OPEN.......so it can not happen!!!! ;) Bob

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
I am not going to question your knowledge or ability.
You didn't mention the type of firearm, reason I say that is I have a few Springfield's and on their site there are many informational videos about cleaning and maintenance.
As far as cleaning I have been using Lucas gun products on all the internals and Mothers mag Polish on the outside, for me it helps with handling fingerprints.

Good Luck...

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
1,800 Posts
I use M-Pro 7 products to clean recently acquired new guns and used guns just like all of my other guns. M-Pro 7 also makes Hoppe's Elite products.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts