Smith And Wesson Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

Registered
I'll just add an afterthought. The interlock has been around since 1996 (+/-). They are still installed today. If there are so many failures then why do people continue to buy the revolvers for the last 25 years.
As a rule, I wouldn't agree with this logic because people continue to buy products that are known to fail with everything. Heck, people continue to buy Ford vehicles. :)

Registered
As a rule, I wouldn't agree with this logic because people continue to buy products that are known to fail with everything. Heck, people continue to buy FordChevy vehicles. :)
FIFY!

Registered
Reactions: ChattanoogaPhil

Premium Member
See what fun you can have on the forum with the right question!

Over on the SIG forum, there is a "Bourbon" thread with over 1,000 posts on it...

• Haha
Reactions: msharley

Registered

Super Moderator
I have a friend that had his model 642 lock up on him. He's a park maintenance employee in Montana. He was out in the deeper reaches of one of his parks and a bear aggressively approached him. He pulled his revolver out, pulled the trigger and the gun locked up on him. Really bad timing. Fortunately he was close to his vehicle, retreated and got in safely. After a few minutes the bear left, and my friend had no other incidences that day. He got the 642 fixed and sold it shortly after that. He no carries a revolver with no lock in it.
This is a close to a malfunction of an internal lock as I've ever been.

Premium Member
I own three Smith revolvers with internal locks. Two were built in 2007, one in 2021. I read all these complaints but when I go on youtube I see no proof, only words.
All three weapons are in as new condition. I'm sorry to bring it up as I know it's been beaten to death. I ask for direction as I only want peace of mind
The only problem that I was told about is that it won;t shot when locked. Some people locked their revolver; forget its locked; go to the range; and the locked revolver won't shot. Frustrating for the user but the gun is doing exactly what it directed to do.
No big deal to me.
I have a S&W lock key on my keychain and have one if my range bag. (I planned for my not remembering.)

You can have the lock removed and a plug installed. The plug is flush with the receiver and keeps crud out.

I have not found a different in shooting older/no integral locks and newer/internal lock revolvers.

Registered
Had a .45 ACP Model 22, (I think that鈥檚 the model #) lock up on me. After I got it unlocked, rubber mallet, I had someone else try the gun and it locked up on them.

Sent it back to Smith & Wesson and they fixed it. Got it back and sold it. I buy pre-lock guns now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 37 of 37 Posts