Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own three Smith revolvers with internal locks. Two were built in 2007, one in 2021. I read all these complaints but when I go on youtube I see no proof, only words.
All three weapons are in as new condition. I'm sorry to bring it up as I know it's been beaten to death. I ask for direction as I only want peace of mind

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
I have 2 with the lock. The keys have never left the little plastic envelope. I never even tried the locks. I ignore them and they seem to ignore me. Neither gun is carried as a self-defense option. They are range and target guns. The locks can be removed, but as I don't carry them, I prefer to leave as is. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
When I was a member of the S&W "Gun of the Month Club," I had occasion to have more than a few nice revolvers pass through my possession. Almost all were delightful. One of the very best I have ever owned was a 21-4 in (of course) .44 Special. That thing was the business! Shot one ragged hole six shot groups firing two-handed at 10 yds. using Winchester Cowboy Action ammo. With CCI Gold Dot 200 gr. JHP's it would open up a bit ... always less than 2 inches for six shots at 10 yds. Just a delight to carry and shoot. If I'd had more brains, I'd never have let it go. Now, of course, I've got 20/20 hindsight. Oh well. Suffice it to say that I had one or two lemons back in the P/R day when there were no locks. And, so far, I've not had any lemons in the lock era. But, I've not bought nearly so many as once was the case. Have got to admit ... if S&W ever decides to bring out a stainless steel version of the Model 18 ... lock or no lock, I'm going to be standing in line! Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
Hate to burst anyone's bubble.

Have two here that the lock would go to the "ON" position at random intervals.

One is my 8 shooter in 38 Super. The other is youngest son's 7 shooter.

Really DISCONCERTING to be in the middle of a STAGE at a MATCH and have the STOOPID LOCK decide to ENGAGE! :mad: (would be much worse in a dire situation):mad:

Solution? Remove blame lock. (the "engimcNERDS at S&W do take DOUBLE FISTFULS of MICRODOT daily, to come up with this KRAP! A perfect example why YUPPYSCUM should not be allowed to DESIGN any fool thang!)

Have two more, that have yet to act up..

So? My personal average (household) is 50/50....

·
Premium Member
13,716 Posts
I don't use the 686 I own that has a lock for self defense. It's a target gun, and that's it...

My preference is for revolvers without the lock.

I'm not sure if stories of the lock flipping on represent a design problem or a maintenance / manufacturing issue. In either case, it's a mechanical addition to the design that can fail. Of course, anything else within the action is also a mechanical portion of the design that can fail. Reliability is the issue.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Hate to burst anyone's bubble.

Have two here that the lock would go to the "ON" position at random intervals.

One is my 8 shooter in 38 Super. The other is youngest son's 7 shooter.

Really DISCONCERTING to be in the middle of a STAGE at a MATCH and have the STOOPID LOCK decide to ENGAGE! :mad: (would be much worse in a dire situation):mad:

Solution? Remove blame lock. (the "engimcNERDS at S&W do take DOUBLE FISTFULS of MICRODOT daily, to come up with this KRAP! A perfect example why YUPPYSCUM should not be allowed to DESIGN any fool thang!)

Have two more, that have yet to act up..

So? My personal average (household) is 50/50....

It is soooo easy to remove and the one only needs to remove the flag:)

There is a reason it is a "banned" topic over at the other place.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll just add an afterthought. The interlock has been around since 1996 (+/-). They are still installed today. If there are so many failures then why do people continue to buy the revolvers for the last 25 years. I'm trying to make sense of this. One would think if the lock was a problem S&W would stop installing the lock. Maybe I'm looking for the magic answer where none exist.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I'll just add an afterthought. The interlock has been around since 1996 (+/-). They are still installed today. If there are so many failures then why do people continue to buy the revolvers for the last 25 years. I'm trying to make sense of this. One would think if the lock was a problem S&W would stop installing the lock. Maybe I'm looking for the magic answer where none exist.
The Mothership can never remove the lock now. It's a political thing... AND a liability thing. :(

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
I just remove mine and fill the hole with a matching plug. The lock on my Governor locked up the action a time or two. Keys were in the box at the time. Thinking and worrying about the locks doesn't take a whole lot from my day.

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
It is soooo easy to remove and the one only needs to remove the flag:)

There is a reason it is a "banned" topic over at the other place.
Hey Rule,

I get you.

OP made a statement.

I relayed the personal experience here.

50/50.....

Of course, both revolvers were used in competition...we (and Series Guy will tell you)shoot more rounds in a month.......than a lot of folk will in two lifetimes! LOL

The 38 Super Revolver, I ran about 1,000rds in practice, no problems. Went to a Match, and the third Stage the dang thing LOCKED UP!!. Cost me a Stage and I finished DEAD LAST in Open Revolver at the Biggest Steel Match in the US!

Youngest son was luckier...his LOCKED UP in practice.......

The other two have not had an issue. Am going to PREEMPTIVELY install the LOCK DELETE PLATES in them, too.

In closing, we have FOUR of them here. TWO of them defaulted to FAIL to FIRE MODE!

What a MORONIC DESIGN!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
11,767 Posts
Over the past decade, more and more new folks are buying guns, often out of panic and mostly firearms of the semi-auto persuasion. Still, some buy revolvers and likely have ZERO awareness a 'controversy' even exists around the internal lock. I don't currently have any Smith's with the lock, but I wouldn't pass up a future good deal because of it. That being said, more than one trusted forum member on this site, that no longer participate, they related having personal issues, which I long ago stored away and consider whenever looking at S&W revolvers.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Funny how that happens. I have a few that fell out as well and can't figure out how to put them back in. I'm not using them if someone needs one.
I have several that the locks fell out when cleaning LOL. Can notice a little trigger improvement but never had any issues either. Definitely would not lose any sleep over it.
Wood Tool Font Fashion accessory Auto part

1 - 20 of 37 Posts