Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a huge fan of the 41 mag and do reload all my own ammo. I have a 57 with 8 3/8"barrel, Ruger Blackhawk (1965) 4 5/8" barrel, and a Henry Big Boy Lever Rifle. I really enjoy taking the 41 to the 200 yard range. I thought this article would be good as sime things I did know but also learned a little too. So post your 41 mags and enjoy. A couple of reloads for the Henry and Ruger but I do like the AA+9 a little better.

The .41 Magnum ? Alive and Kicking - Patriot Gun News

S&W M57 (3).JPG
IMG_3801.JPG
IMG_3795.JPG
IMG_3797.JPG
IMG_3796.JPG

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
41 Stockers.jpg

I like mine...:) Although its at the mother ship with a stuck rod.. Should get it back any day..

thewelshm

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have always had a positive curiosity about .41 Mag, so take this question in the spirit intended:

Is there anything a .41 Mag handgun can do that a .44 can't also do?

The idea was that .41 would allow revolvers to be either smaller or have greater capacity than .44 or .45 N frames. That didn't happen (even the Desert Eagle has the same capacity for .41 and .44). For any combination of bullet weight and velocity that you could do with .41, .44 would be able to match them exactly. Soft tissue penetration with solid tipped ammo should be greater with .41, but penetration alone doesn't seem like a restriction on .44 for big game. So is there a ballistic, terminal ballistic, recoil or any other parameter where the .41 shines?

With a custom cylinder, could you get 7 rounds of .41 in an N frame? The median case diameter for the cylinder holes between .357 and .44 is .418", while a .41 Mag case is .434" diameter, so that might be pushing things with a high pressure cartridge trying to also average the capacity. (I'm assuming that a magnum pressure .45 cartridge isn't found in the N frame because the walls become too thin, so the Magnum limits of 8 in .357 vs 6 in .44 Mag should be observed for .41 Mag as well.)

I reload and don't mind oddball calibers, so I am no less likely to buy a .41 than a .44 - just curious if there was any data I was missing about the cartridge or the guns it's chambered for. I do particularly like the shroudless barrel on the M58 - I don't think any other N frame has that M10 HB look.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I like both of mine. A three screw Blackhawk and a Model 57. I hand load for it, but I handload for everything I shoot so it doesn't really matter to me whether the cartridge is popular or not!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've always been a fan of the 41 Magnum: and to this day, don't own a 44 Magnum as the 41 does everything I need.

My Model 58 that I carried on duty for several years. Just ordered some new Star Line brass for it last week. I duplicate the old issue police load of a 210 lead SWC at about 800 fps. S&W Mod 58 2-800-90%.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Great article... but I wonder why no credit is given to Bill Jordan in the .41 Magnum development? It was Elmer, Jordan and to a lesser degree, Skeeter Skelton, that badgered S&W and Remington for the cartridge and gun.

I'm a big fan of the .41 Mag as well. I have a 3" bbl 657, a 8-3/8" bbl M57 and a 6-1/2" bbl Ruger Blackhawk. A long gun is what I want next... would like to find a Marlin to go with my other ones, but a Henry is more readily available.

For punching paper, I bought a bunch of ".41 Special" brass made by Starline. As the article states, the .41 Magnum was not spawned from a shorter "Special" cartridge like the .357 and .44 Magnums, and what Starline concocted is their take on what the parent cartridge would have been had there been such a thing as a .41 Special.

Yeah, I could have just stuck with handloading reduced loads in magnum cases, but I feel that using these shorter cases for my light target handloads greatly reduces the chance of a double charge, and it's easier not to mistake my target ammo for full house loads and inadvertently end up with the wrong ammo at an outing.

Plus there is the factor of your friends seeing the .41 Special head stamp on the brass at range outings and getting the "where the heck did you find that??" oh-wow reaction.

I'd love to see S&W expand the L-frame line up with a .41 Magnum.... it won't happen, but wouldn't that be kinda neat?

657 (2).jpg

RH M57 (2).jpg

.41 Blackhawk .JPG

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
The Smith Wesson model 657 in 41 Magnum is one of my grail guns. They just seem to keep evading my grasp. Either they are priced way to high or in terrible shape. i keep on the hunt for one but the elude my my search. One day maybe Ill own one. One can dream that is for sure.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Lordy! Are we still debating .41 vs .44? I've got a Model 29-4 that I purchased in 1980. There was also a .41 available. I'm just sorry that I was such a cheapskate that I didn't buy both. And now I can't afford either one.

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
I am a huge fan of the 41 mag and do reload all my own ammo. I have a 57 with 8 3/8"barrel, Ruger Blackhawk (1965) 4 5/8" barrel, and a Henry Big Boy Lever Rifle. I really enjoy taking the 41 to the 200 yard range. I thought this article would be good as sime things I did know but also learned a little too. So post your 41 mags and enjoy. A couple of reloads for the Henry and Ruger but I do like the AA+9 a little better.

The .41 Magnum ? Alive and Kicking - Patriot Gun News

View attachment 358403
View attachment 358405
View attachment 358407
View attachment 358409
View attachment 358411
Now I know we are related.....! I too am a huge fan of thr 41 mag! I love my Model 58, 57 & my Ruger NM Bhk.I fit a Super grip frame, trigger job, Super Bhk hammer, dual rotating cylinder latch. I don’t have a rifle(yet😬) but......? Good Shooting...!

·
Registered
19,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Still have same guns but have really got a lot of different reloads and like them all for a certain purpose. Will say the Henry has really proven versatile and very reliable. Had it at Friend's farm in Tennessee and got Coyote messing with his cattle at about 125 yards and was a head shot and he did fly for a short way. I was lucky was sitting on back deck and used the railing for support.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Still have same guns but have really got a lot of different reloads and like them all for a certain purpose. Will say the Henry has really proven versatile and very reliable. Had it at Friend's farm in Tennessee and got Coyote messing with his cattle at about 125 yards and was a head shot and he did fly for a short way. I was lucky was sitting on back deck and used the railing for support.
Hey Jeep,

Nothing lucky about it!

Ya'll wuz chootin' at da blame yote...intendin' fer it die! LOL

Good shooting!

Henry makes a fine rifle.

Later, Mark

1 - 20 of 21 Posts