Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the 460V to the range last week and got a lockup. The firing pin got stuck in the "fired" position. Why, oh why did S&W decide on a separate firing pin, rather than the hammer mounted one that works all the time ?!?

I do have to say, that my X frames are surprisingly fickle considering the cartridges they're built for.

In other news the 500 , which had to go back to S&W previously due to a bent hand, worked flawlessly through 3 boxes of Underwood 750 gr flat noses the same day. :shock:
Navy son got a good case of buzzy-hand after a box :lol:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Very cool about the 500, but I'm disappointed in hearing that X frames are so fickle. :(

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Took the 460V to the range last week and got a lockup. The firing pin got stuck in the "fired" position. Why, oh why did S&W decide on a separate firing pin, rather than the hammer mounted one that works all the time ?!?

I do have to say, that my X frames are surprisingly fickle considering the cartridges they're built for.

In other news the 500 , which had to go back to S&W previously due to a bent hand, worked flawlessly through 3 boxes of Underwood 750 gr flat noses the same day. :shock:
Navy son got a good case of buzzy-hand after a box :lol:
What year was it made?

Thewelshm

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's fairly new. Say 3 or 4 years.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The separate firing pin is a safety feature. The pressures are high enough with the 460, that if a primer did fail, you could lose an eye with a standard 'on the hammer' pin.

I think my old 375 supermag was the same.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The separate firing pin is a safety feature. The pressures are high enough with the 460, that if a primer did fail, you could lose an eye with a standard 'on the hammer' pin.

I think my old 375 supermag was the same.

Mebbe. Would be nice if they made it reliable. If a primer did fail though you'd only be pelted with what went through the pin hole and around the pin. (Same size either way).

If I had to guess it's just easier to manufacture.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a 22 blow back through the bolt on my old 513 target. It was not pleasant, and that was a 22.

Hot embers splattered my face and put melt marks on my glasses.

If you don't think a lot of powder could come through a pinhole, go shoot your 460 at an indoor range. The cylinder gap blow by can eat the carpet off the dividers.

Did yours pierce the primer? Just curious.

At minimum I use gun blaster to clean out the firing pin pocket. Complete disassembly every 500 rounds or so.

This design is what allowed for higher pressure magnum revolvers to be safe to shoot.

Oil will accumulate debris. Try normal hoppes 9 (it evaporates) and maybe some teflon dry lube to keep the firing pin area working.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a 22 blow back through the bolt on my old 513 target. It was not pleasant, and that was a 22.

Hot embers splattered my face and put melt marks on my glasses.

If you don't think a lot of powder could come through a pinhole, go shoot your 460 at an indoor range. The cylinder gap blow by can eat the carpet off the dividers.

Did yours pierce the primer? Just curious.

At minimum I use gun blaster to clean out the firing pin pocket. Complete disassembly every 500 rounds or so.

This design is what allowed for higher pressure magnum revolvers to be safe to shoot.

Oil will accumulate debris. Try normal hoppes 9 (it evaporates) and maybe some teflon dry lube to keep the firing pin area working.

Sounds like a plan. FWIW, I shoot the 460 indoors mostly. :shock: , much to the consternation of other rangegoers.

Reactions: Thewelshm

·
Registered
18 Posts
lol, yeah. I own the 460's great grandfather, the dan wesson 375 supermag. It'd clear the room.

The variable twist on the 460 is an amazing advancement. I thought it would catch on more. Especially for speed demons like Weatherby.

Dan Wesson struggled to find that balance between twist and bbl length to achieve the perfect 200yd silhouette pistol.

Dan Wesson's history of small changes on twist and length for their long range pistols is really interesting, if you have the time.

The 460 made enough velocity while still getting enough twist for a stable bullet at long range. Biggest advancement in handgun history since 1873, if you asked me.

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
Gee, my 460 XVR isn't fickle at all and I don't shoot mine indoors...too dam loud. As with all my firearms (except the Target 22's) it's for killing and it took a nice doe at 75 yards in Hillsdale County last month with handloads of course. 452 Hornady hollow points in Starline with a wad of Lil Gun and Federal primers. How much propellant, lets just say what my hands can deal with but a tad more than the maximum SAMMI load.

Nice killing tool.

Since I got it back from the Mothership, it's been flawless and deadly accurate. Shooting MOA at 100 yards. Wheelgun that thinks it's a rifle.:D

I need to load up a box of 250 or 300 grain Swift A frames this summer. Been told they are wicked on deer and other large game. Might take it hog hunting this summer. Got invited to a private farm in Arkansas for a hog hunt.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
It's fairly new. Say 3 or 4 years.
I have a 2004 500 in 8 3/8" I've also had a 2005 never had issues, wonder if quality slipped many years after the initial release of the "X" frame? (The 500 came out in 2003 the 460 in 2005)

thewelshm

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
I have a 2004 500 in 8 3/8" I've also had a 2005 never had issues, wonder if quality slipped many years after the initial release of the "X" frame? (The 500 came out in 2003 the 460 in 2005)

thewelshm
Mine is 3 years old. All the machining is first rate and the trigger pull is fantastic too. No creep, no let off, no side play, just BANG. I did have the FTF issue when I got it and a canted tube but S&W made it all right. I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well, stripped it down and removed the firing pin and spring and cleaned both with spray cleaner. Seems that the firing pin has some sort of slippery coating on it so I'm just going to run it dry. While I was at it I did the 500 too. kfjdrfirii

I think it's just that firing pin cleaning is now part of the maintenance protocol for these guns.

Reactions: goprokurat

·
Registered
217 Posts
Gee, my 460 XVR isn't fickle at all and I don't shoot mine indoors...too dam loud. As with all my firearms (except the Target 22's) it's for killing and it took a nice doe at 75 yards in Hillsdale County last month with handloads of course. 452 Hornady hollow points in Starline with a wad of Lil Gun and Federal primers. How much propellant, lets just say what my hands can deal with but a tad more than the maximum SAMMI load.

Nice killing tool.

Since I got it back from the Mothership, it's been flawless and deadly accurate. Shooting MOA at 100 yards. Wheelgun that thinks it's a rifle.:D

I need to load up a box of 250 or 300 grain Swift A frames this summer. Been told they are wicked on deer and other large game. Might take it hog hunting this summer. Got invited to a private farm in Arkansas for a hog hunt.
Very cool!:cool: I can't wait to get one. Why was yours back at the Mothership, SidecarFlip? [Edit] never mind, I read your next post.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts