Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, ladies & gents.
I’m about to make a gift of my venerable S&W 5906 to my nephew/godson. I was hoping to give him a more modernized version than the present state the pistol is in (though it has night sights and an after market, lighter trigger spring). I’ve been on the net, looking to see what’s available and I went through most of the previous posts here concerning the 5906. I’ve concluded that S&W and the accessory manufacturers consider the 5906 an orphaned child, since there’s very little available accessories for it.
In reading through the previous posts here, there’s what seems to me a fairly obvious question which seems to never have been asked. Before I tangle with S&W’s customer service and get put on hold until the right person can be found, let me try it on you folks: does anyone know if there are any accessories from the newer S&W models that will fit the older models, like the 5906?

·
Super Moderator
19,907 Posts
The only thing that the newer models will interchange with the 5906 is the ammo. The 5906 is one of the finest pistols ever produced by S&W. Tinkering with them make little to no sense. There are a couple of companies that still make grip panels for them in a variety of materials, and there are also a few different sight sets on the market you can change out.
Grips, Try Hogue:: 9mm & .40 Caliber - Full Size Semi Automatic Pistols - Grips for Smith & Wesson - Handgun Grips - Hogue Products
Also, run a google or an eBay search for the 5906 grips

Sights, Try these
Novak: Novak Designs Inc. - Products - 3rd Gen Series
Trijicon: https://www.trijicon.com/products/p...t-tough-night-sights-for-smith-wesson-pistols
Dawson Precision: Dawson Precision S&W 5906 Fiber Optic Front Sights
xs sights: XS Sight Systems, Inc. - Products - 4006, 5903, 5906, 3913
Warren Tactical: https://warrentactical.com/product-category/sights/sw-1911-5906/

I hope these links help out

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Gearchecker pretty well covered it but the only other option depending on condition would be refinish.

A good proper internal clean, new springs, new grips, sights and finish treatment of your choice and it would make an amazing gift!

·
Premium Member
13,690 Posts
As Alex recommended... Clean it. Ensure it's safe. Repair is as needed, but leave it pretty much as it is.

These are fine S&W third generation semi-automatic pistols. You can't improve them. I treasure my 4566TSW and 3904 single stack.

A light trigger is not necessarily a good trigger, and it could be a dangerous trigger. A good trigger has a repeatable feel, little "creep", a clear sear release point and a surprise release as it trips. It's smooth, consistent in double action and crisp in single action.

Even aged Tritium night sights are still perfectly good and usable sites. Changing them out will cost $150-$200.

https://www.trijicon.com/products/p...t-tough-night-sights-for-smith-wesson-pistols

By the time you do all the changes and upgrades, you could buy your godson a brand new pistol. Then you can both go shooting together.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only thing that the newer models will interchange with the 5906 is the ammo. The 5906 is one of the finest pistols ever produced by S&W. Tinkering with them make little to no sense. There are a couple of companies that still make grip panels for them in a variety of materials, and there are also a few different sight sets on the market you can change out.
Grips, Try Hogue:: 9mm & .40 Caliber - Full Size Semi Automatic Pistols - Grips for Smith & Wesson - Handgun Grips - Hogue Products

Sights, Try these
Trijicon: https://www.trijicon.com/products/p...t-tough-night-sights-for-smith-wesson-pistols
Warren Tactical: https://warrentactical.com/product-category/sights/sw-1911-5906/

Thanks for the info. I agree that it doesn’t make sense, in the main, to tinker with the innards, particularly since this particular pistol is well broken in and the action is glass smooth. However, some sort of rail would’ve been nice, for a flashlight or a laser.
This is my favorite nephew, also my godson. I wouldn’t make a gift to him of a pistol I wouldn’t trust my own life on. My trusty old 5906 fits the bill.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gearchecker pretty well covered it but the only other option depending on condition would be refinish.

A good proper internal clean, new springs, new grips, sights and finish treatment of your choice and it would make an amazing gift!
¡Qué pasa, boricua!
I keep my guns very clean. Despite the ol’ 5906 not being my go to carry pistol anymore, it isn’t an exception to that rule.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As Alex recommended... Clean it. Ensure it's safe. Repair is as needed, but leave it pretty much as it is.

These are fine S&W third generation semi-automatic pistols. You can't improve them. I treasure my 4566TSW and 3904 single stack.

A light trigger is not necessarily a good trigger, and it could be a dangerous trigger. A good trigger has a repeatable feel, little "creep", a clear sear release point and a surprise release as it trips. It's smooth, consistent in double action and crisp in single action.

Even aged Tritium night sights are still perfectly good and usable sites. Changing them out will cost $150-$200.

https://www.trijicon.com/products/p...t-tough-night-sights-for-smith-wesson-pistols

By the time you do all the changes and upgrades, you could buy your godson a brand new pistol. Then you can both go shooting together.
Yes, I agree that it doesn’t make sense to change parts that aren’t broken or worn. But the lighter mainspring that I installed years ago, and which has been tried and tested through the years, and while not a huge improvement, it does improve the double action trigger pull. I consider it money well spent. My nephew being a newby, I think the lighter DA trigger pull will be welcome.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 5906 has not been produced for over 20 years, which may explain the lack of accessories available now
Darn! Has it been that long?
Yeah, that would go a long way in explaining the lack of accessories. Although the sheer number of former police 5906es out there would make me think there’s still a market for accessories.

·
Super Moderator
19,907 Posts
You mentioned putting on a rail for a laser or light. A good gunsmith should be able to mill, drill, and tap the slide, so you can put on a mount for reflex sight mount.
This would cost a pretty penny and it could be months before you get the slide back, but it can be done.
Any rail added to the gun on the top of the slide would make the line of sight too high to put any accessory on, and I don't think the frame under the barrel has enough metal on it to mill for a rail. But then again, a good gunsmith could machine the rail to match the frame, and a couple of screws could hold it all together. Then, you could put whatever you want on the pistol, light or laser.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
If you swapped to a lighter mainspring "years ago" I would swap it out. Even if its for one with the same weight. As I am sure you know .. springs are the very life blood of semi autos. Were I going to gift it I would try and find all new springs. Maybe even find some replacement mag springs. Nothing says new feeling like a new set of springs and since you seem comfortable enough digging into your gun fit it up with new firing pin spring and the works.

I am not rail guy though it doesnt mean I wont buy a gun with a rail .. (unless its a 1911 then rail equals no sale) but when I read your post last night I thought .. instead of spending money on a rail .. how about a case of range ammo!!

Man oh man .. if I got a nice old gun (the 5906 is very much a sweetheart gun) and 1000 rds of ammo so I can enjoy it .. well .. I would be more than thrilled!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You mentioned putting on a rail for a laser or light. A good gunsmith should be able to mill, drill, and tap the slide, so you can put on a mount for reflex sight mount.
This would cost a pretty penny and it could be months before you get the slide back, but it can be done.
Any rail added to the gun on the top of the slide would make the line of sight too high to put any accessory on, and I don't think the frame under the barrel has enough metal on it to mill for a rail. But then again, a good gunsmith could machine the rail to match the frame, and a couple of screws could hold it all together. Then, you could put whatever you want on the pistol, light or laser.
You’re absolutely right, both on it being widely available but costing a pretty penny and taking forever. Still, it’s an option.
I was hoping there was a simpler, out-of-the-box, do-it-yourself alternative.

·
Premium Member
18,304 Posts
If you are interested in a laser for your 5906, you might look on Ebay for a NOS Crimson Trace lasergrip. I use one on my 5906 and 411 and they have worked well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Sights, Try these

I want to thank you for the links you supplied. As I mentioned, my pistol’s tritium sights needed replacement. I was going to go with tried and true Trijicon, until I saw XS Sight Systems’ wares. I like them so much better! Their “dot the i” arrangement is much more intuitive than the Trijicon’s 3 dots.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
If you are interested in a laser for your 5906, you might look on Ebay for a NOS Crimson Trace lasergrip. I use one on my 5906 and 411 and they have worked well.
Thanks for taking an interest. I’d already tried finding the Crimson Trace laser grip, but couldn’t find one. After reading your post, I decided “what the heck, try again”. Ditto.
BTW, I also tried finding a Lasermax Guide Rod Laser (model LMS-5901), since I have one installed in my Sig P-226 and think it’s great. No dice, even in the second-hand venues. 😞

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would have Trijicon re-lamp the dead night sights for $57 (assuming the dead vials are from Trijicon) and pass it on as is - that's a great gift.
I didn’t know they could do that! I’ll hold on to the old set of sights once I’ve replaced them, just in case. That said, I REALLY fell in love with XS Systems’ sights. Instead of Trijicon’s three dots, they use a dot on the front sight and a vertical post on the rear (both with tritium lamps). So it’s a quedtion of “dotting the i” to get sight alignment. They have the one model where the dot on the front is oversized. I went with that. Since my nephew intends this as a carry, self-defense weapon it strikes me that the large dot and post configuration are more intuitive and faster to acquire when drawing and firing, if PERHAPS not as good for target shooting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts