Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dad passed a while back, I inherited a number of his firearms (including an M1 Garand, M1911, S&W Highway Patrolman, and others).

This .22 has me stumped a bit, no real serial number I can find on the butt or the cylinder crane.

The bottom of the butt frame 93xx, and the crane shows 4439x.

I can't seem to pin down after spending an hour digging through Google the timeframe or even a precise model number or possible value.

I'd like to get this cleaned up and give to my girlfriend.

Diamond grip, 2" barrel. 20191128_094528.jpg

20191128_094539.jpg

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
S&W didnt start using model numbers until 1957. You have a 22/32 Kit Gun which became the model 34 once model numbers were used. The 4 digit number on the butt is the serial number. You have an early one. I dont have my reference book handy but someone will be along with more info

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey Rip,

Welcome to :bluelogo:!

Way to go! Pics of a "Flat Latch Kit Gun" on your first post!!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
I own a Heavy Frame .22/32 from the 1920's. That era gave way to the "kit gun" in 1936. The war interrupted everything. The I frame continued afterward, followed by an improved I frame, then the J frame (a .38 Special length, not the previous .32 Long/.38 S&W length.). If I were guessing its an improved I with a coiled spring rather than a leaf spring under the grips. S&W serials for a long time were either unique to model or concurrent within a type, hence your "low" serial number. The original .22/32 was introduced in 1915; this ain't one of them.

Again, someone here knows.

·
Registered
22,096 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As others have stated you have a pre model 34. Looks in pretty good shape. Sorry to hear about your dad passing. Cherish the items left to you by your dad as they are priceless.

Reactions: jeepnut and Ripside
1 - 11 of 11 Posts