Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently inherited what I believe is a Smith and Wesson .38 snub nosed revolver. It is a k-Frame produced between 1945-1948. It is quite ornate and may be nickel-plated with brass(?) adornments on the handle. The serial number is s 839xxx. I have attached photo of it. I am hoping someone can offer any insight.

Rubinsml

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,086 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Can you post more pictures including the bottom of the butt frame, and the other side of the gun? Without a prefix letter like V or S (could be substantially separated from the numbers), the serial puts the gun in the 1940-41 period. Snub noses in that time frame were rare. So, my guess is the barrel was replaced on a WWII frame after the war. The gun has a lot of bling including the Mexican silver grips...yep, probably real silver. I've seen similar grips on other guns over the years. The plating on the hammer and trigger is not factory original. So, this gun has been refinished in nickel and all the WWII British stampings were likely polished off during that process. Check the serial number on the cylinder. It should match the serial on the gun butt. Also, post a picture of the cylinder chambers lighting from the front so we can see if the cylinder was reamed for .38 Special. Should be interesting!

Reactions: jonesy814

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guy,

Thank you so much for our quick response. The serial numbers on the chamber matches the one on the butt end. I have attached the phots you requested. I continue to appreciate any insight that can be offered.

Thanks again
Rubinsml

Attachments

·
Registered
black powder shooter
4,143 Posts
very cool. as you indicated, post ww2, probably 1947. Refinished in nickel. the grips are south western, probably Mexico origin - they do have some value/interest.

a S&W M&P built on WW2 era frames with a transitional (old style / new made) parts mix - factory used these to meet post war civilian demand.

·
Registered
black powder shooter
4,143 Posts
Any idea how much something like this is worth?
overall with the refinish, the gun itself doesn't command any real value as a collector, so as a shooter maybe 300-400 since the gun doesn't seem to have been chopped or modified.

the grips would have some interest by themselves - value depending on if they are silver or not. several hundred dollars at least in an auction format. ive seen them go for that and more on ebay..

·
Premium Member
21,086 Posts
Yes, with an S prefix on the serial, it is a post -war .38 M&P snubby. See below for an example.

With the non-factory nickel plating it would sell for around $300-350. But the grips add in about $200

Reactions: Leo918

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
Any idea how much something like this is worth?

Rubinsml
It should be priceless to you mate, someone elected to leave it to you. Shoot it in good health..

Thewelshm

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Well Just from seeing the pictures I would say that the gun is one that was Nickeled plated somewhere and NOT SMITH and WESSON. The trigger and hammers being nickeled is a dead give away as well as the screws. You can tell its has been polished over by some of the rounded corners. The grips don't fit well and are positive Mexican in origin . In the early 60 and 70s these guns were all along the Mexico boarder and picked up at various shops in the south Western US. Several of my Border Patrol friends have examples such as this . Its a nice conversation piece for sure but probably not worth that much unless provo. can be established . the Grips if really silver or gold may be worth more than the gun itself.

thanks for showing it here

1 - 12 of 12 Posts