Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all. I inherited a .38 special ctg from my grandfather and he told me it was his dad's given to him by the police chief of concord nc.

I'm curious as to the age. It has a serial number on the bottom of the handle sn 683xxx. Cylinder sn matches. Two numbers stamped on frame, 17997. 5 pins four on side 1 on trigger well.

Hope yall can help. One more thing, the handle looks almost like antler or bone possibly. Not sure.

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
19,841 Posts
Please post some photos. There are so many different handguns out there, and to most they all look alike.
All the help you can give us, will make us helping you all the easier.
To add a photo to a post save it to your computer and in a post click the little icon that looks like a tree in a frame, It'll open a dialog box to add photos to your post.

·
Premium Member
20,370 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! That's a . 38 s&w M&P from the late thirty's or early forties.

Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Registered
881 Posts
Here you go.
It ought to be a nice shooter.
Serial number 700,000 was supposed to have been sold in 1942. So it`s at least that old.
But from what I`ve heard, not a lot of these M&Ps were produced during the late 30s and early 40s. That many were actually manufactured earlier and just sold from existing inventory during the depression. So it might not be easy to pin down exactly when it was made.
But it`s a nice bit history you have in your hands.
It would have originally had walnut grips.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
The grips on your Military & Police Model, as previously noted above, are replacements of the original factory wood grips. They are what was referred to as "Jigged" antler or bone, and were popular up through the 50's, and collectable to a lot of folks. I think they look good on the gun. From the stamps/markings I would say the gun was made from between the later 1920's (one line Made in USA) up to 1946 (when a letter prefix was added to the serial number on new guns). Any way it's a nice older revolver with a great family history for you. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory MY lettered 685XXX shipped in May 1940 as a part of the first WWII order (to So. Africa). Guy is right on the money, in allowing a bit of +/-. Absent a letter I am going right on the 1939-1940 year change. We do see numbers shift a bit in sequence sometimes, as much as year or two on occassion. To know the answer will set you back $50. the correct grips are arched top silver medallions. (Note: the So. African order was 4" barrels, not the later Brit. Svc. pictured)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any infor about age or worth on a SW serial number 368792 38 SPECIAL
She has a Mother of pearl handle and is crafted with a beautifully engraved body and barrel. Grandfathers toy that was passed to me. He was uniformed officer all his adult life in West Texas. He always said you never need a big gun just need to be a little closer. Thanks Bill H

1 - 9 of 9 Posts