Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

My father passed away in 2020. He was 85 years old. I have his guns. One of such is a Smith and Wesson Semi Auto 9mm Model 39-2. I was hoping to learn a little bit more about it as in if anyone can help me figure out when it was made and if it was a military service weapon. My father was in the Air Force from 1954 to 1957. I have read different things about this gun. I know the model 39 was an issued weapon in the US Military at one point. Not sure about the 39-2 though. I saw one for sale that said it was US Air Force issue. I do not want to sell this gun. I am actually going to get it cleaned up and make sure everything is working on it and keep it. It would be cool to know if it was his AF issued weapon. He didn't talk much about his time in the AF. He always had this gun with him though.

I appreciate anything that anyone can tell me about it. Photos below.

Respectfully,

WPB22

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Hi WPB22,
Since the Model 39-2 was made between 1971 and 1982 it was far too late for your father's Air Force years. The -2 was S&W use of the suggestions of the IL State Police to improve the Model 39. ISP was the first State police to adopt the S&W 39 as a duty / off duty pistol and found out a lot about the Model 39 as they had a lot of them. I carried a Model 39-2 as my Police duty weapon starting around 1975 until 1979.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi WPB22,
Since the Model 39-2 was made between 1971 and 1982 it was far too late for your father's Air Force years. The -2 was S&W use of the suggestions of the IL State Police to improve the Model 39. ISP was the first State police to adopt the S&W 39 as a duty / off duty pistol and found out a lot about the Model 39 as they had a lot of them. I carried a Model 39-2 as my Police duty weapon starting around 1975 until 1979.
Jim,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. That's good information and thank you for sharing from your personal experience. I guess my Dad just carried that around because he liked that. I remember him having it ever since I was a little kid. I was born in '78.

Once again, much appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.