Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a smith and wesson revolver. I am having a hard time finding information about this firearm online. From what I gather, I believe it to be a "hand ejector" model.

Information on the gun
- on the right side of the barrel it says 32 long CTG
- on top of the barrel it says Springfield mass u.s.a pt. 14 09 dec. 29. 14
-serial number 392043
- pulling out the cylinder, on the frame it says 9674.

I'm looking for general infor, year made what it may be worth. It's in kinda rough shape, I know some old guns are better left unclean, and don't know if it's ok to clean and shoot.

Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
It looks like you have a .32 Regulation Police from the early 20s. This is an I frame gun and should have a rebated backstrap. The current grips are for a J frame and a bit long. The correct grips are a bit scarce but can be found. It also looks like the barrel was shortened sometime in the past.

·
Registered
22,084 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice older Smith. Agree with Charles^^^^^^^^ if uncertain, take it to a gunsmith to clean and check it's function before you use it at the range. Enjoy and congrats on the nice addition.:)

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey M,

Welcome to :bluelogo:

Way to go! Pics of a great .32......right out the gate!!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
pix417126977.jpg pix425813275.jpg The correct grips look like these. There is a step in the backstrap unless altered. The grips extend beyond the frame and enclose the butt, hence the serial on the forestrap as opposed to the butt.

The correct cartridge is the .32 S&W Long also known as the .32 Colt New Police. I do not know of any useful defense load available. It has been eclipsed by stretching into the .32 H&R and again to the .327 Federal.

As stated the barrel has been pruned. The older .32's do not command interest unless in great condition. I am certain it was transformed into an everyday carry many years ago. I'd love to know the tale.

The value unfortunately in my opinion is marginal. My recommendation is to peddle the nice grips. Find some oversize distressed grips and fit them. You can not justify Regulation Police grips for a piece in this condition.

My two bits.

·
Banned
1,476 Posts
\
The correct cartridge is the .32 S&W Long also known as the .32 Colt New Police. I do not know of any useful defense load available.
This looks pretty useful to me: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102155007?pid=123912 In fact, though I've been shooting .32 Long handloads in a rifle for yrs, I had no idea how broad the selection was until I saw this Midway list. The difference in knock-down power on small game between the round-nose S&W & flat-point N.P. is rather amazing--the difference between a turkey running away never to be seen again & one dead on the ground where you hit it. I think a hit by these wad-cutters at 900 fps would take the fight out of the meanest mugger on your block.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Very cool piece. I have a pre model 30 made 1957 I believe in 32 s&w long. My fiancée got it for me and it’s one of my favorites even with the odd caliber. It shoots great and is pretty mild. I’ve been teaching her daughter to shoot with it. It was the first one in my growing collection. They’re not super valuable as far as I know. Yours is a little older than mine and I have seen some ads were people try and get close to a thousand for mint pieces but still seems unrealistic. I’d say just enjoy it for what it is.

·
Banned
1,476 Posts
My fiancée got it for me and it’s one of my favorites even with the odd caliber.
Odd caliber? Zillions of .32 Short & Long revolvers of all makes have been made, & though many were cheap & more or less disposable, a large proportion of the better ones are still floating around. A big selection of ammo is currently available. Used to be a standard caliber in Olympic competition.

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,961 Posts
This looks pretty useful to me: ..... I think a hit by these wad-cutters at 900 fps would take the fight out of the meanest mugger on your block.
i have a couple boxes of those wad cutters, definitely an upgrade from what is generally a pretty anemic commercial cartridge.

·
Registered
17,480 Posts
This one is from 1917 per Mr Roy Jenkins and was handed down by my Grandfather as his bugout gun while Police Chief. I do shoot 32 wadcutters for SD and they are wicked once inside a body. I just got a box of wadcutters for 27.00 for 50 which is not bad to me and box of LRN is about 22.00 for 50. Think you will like shooting it. It has the old hard rubber grips on it.
IMG_3891.JPG
IMG_3892.JPG

·
Registered
214 Posts
My fiancée got it for me and it’s one of my favorites even with the odd caliber.
Odd caliber? Zillions of .32 Short & Long revolvers of all makes have been made, & though many were cheap & more or less disposable, a large proportion of the better ones are still floating around. A big selection of ammo is currently available. Used to be a standard caliber in Olympic competition.
I know there’s still plenty around, but 32 long was not on my radar and I would say not known to most younger shooters. I’d barely heard of the caliber when I bought it. I’m much better informed about it know. Ammo is available for it online but not a single gun store in my city carried any and I’ve been shooting home loaded wad cutters I bought from a gun show. The only booth that had any. I’ve grown to appreciate the cartridge a great deal. I am curious about the buffalo loads.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts