Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am sending back to S&W a .460XVR that has a machining flaw next to the hammer where the sideplate joins the frame. Where the seams meet they are rough and a ding is in the main part of the frame at the seam when the hammer is pulled back. I have a .460V and a .44mag model 29-10 and an old 1914 .32-20 revolver and these seams are absolutely perfect. I have never had to send anything back to S&W, I called them and I am waiting for my prepaid return label from them to send it in. My question is for anyone who has sent something back for repair. Are they reasonably fast in getting to it, and do they return it in a timely manner, and how is their work? I got it home from my FFL and looked it over and found the flaws. Though they are small imperfections when you point the gun and pull back the hammer, they smile right back at you. I haven't even got to shoot it yet as when I found the flaws I figured it would be best not to until I get it into them. As you all know, I paid quite a bit for this .460XVR and I think it should be as perfect as my other S&W 's. I think that the frame with the serial number will probably have to be replaced as well as the sideplate. Will they add my serial number to a new frame or send back a new gun which I guess will have to go to my FFL for transfer? I guess it is one that just slipped past quality control. And any imput anyone has to offer will be greatly appreciated on this return. Thanks

·
Banned
732 Posts
Call Smith & Wesson customer service. They will probably send you a prepaid return label. Phone number's with your gun's paperwork or on their website.

Bruce

·
Registered
65 Posts
BruceM said:
Call Smith & Wesson customer service. They will probably send you a prepaid return label. Phone number's with your gun's paperwork or on their website.

Bruce

This is correct. You should receive the label in less than a week, depending on where you live.

·
Registered
753 Posts
In my opinion, S&W repair guys are parts changers. If you pay for a service, then you get the more experienced guys from the performance center, & these guys know their buisness. Just send it in and they will attempt to make it right. They will go as far as replacing the frame and restamp it with your SN if need be to make it right.

5 years ago, I had a 625 (lock model) that when you open the cylinder, the cylinder would rest on the side of the frame. They replaced the frame no charge with same SN. They fixed it the first time and did a great job. I sold it for something else at a later time.

Back in 2003, I had one of the early 500 mags. The gun was unlocking on me and I asked them to check it out (being a new gun on a brand new line). I got it back and they clearly broke it. I sent it back not twice but 4 times until they finally repaired all the faults they were creating with the gun. This is why I call them parts changers on factory warrantee items....
That revolver was traded away and I bought 2 removable compensator models. They won't work on these!

Another personal gun was the SW1911 pistol. This gun broke the barrel link. I sent it back telling them, the slide was sloppy and needed to be replaced. It had what I call loose breech and this was why the lug was failing. They replaced every part on that pistol except what I told them to replace. They sure made it look pretty with all the stuff they replaced. I bet they put 400 dollars worth on it, every thing except the frame and slide.... But the slide needed it the most! Well that gun is gone too, 24 hours after I got it back!

Send it back, with luck you will be satisfied. They really do try and please the customer! I'm not a lucky person with customer service. I think my name is murphy or something. kihfL

·
Registered
154 Posts
Send nothing to SW...I sent my PPKS to them and it took almost three months to return it. I believe it was because it was at their cost. Their bean counters have ruined the company. You say HUH? Why did they ruin a perfect PPKS system that has worked for many year? BEAN COUNTERS is why! Oh yeah don't forget the lawyers. I have since sold off the PPKS cause I don't trust it! For me it's Colts or nothin!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts