Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I'm a newbie seeking info on an older 41. I have recently acquired a model 41 bearing serial number 207xx. On this site I learned it appears to be made in 1959. The previous owner xxxxxx (previous caretaker) was a life-long friend that has passed away so I know it is an older gun. It looks brand new though it has been fired. Upon looking online I have found no others like it. This one is stamped ".22 Short". From what information I found online it appears to be 1 of 1000 made for competition??? It does have the Olympic under-barrel weights, a seven inch barrel, several add-on muzzle compensators, and the factory looking grips have a palm swell that I do not see on any others I see online.
If I can get photos I will post ASAP. Is anyone familiar with this sub-model? Is it a limited supply addition to the 41 lineup? If I choose to, can it shoot .22lr with the addition of another barrel and mags? Value? (Though I would never sell) Any information that can be offered is greatly appreciated.
By the way This a great forum. I have found a lot of great reading already!!!

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
Hey Cooter,

Welcome to :bluelogo:

I'm thinking that may be a M-43?

Some of the better educated folk will be along....

Later, Mark

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply! She' marked "Model 41" just below the sr#. Time will tell..... The slide is aluminum (non-magnetic), is that the normal??? Seems like light material to withstand years of recoil expected in a target gun.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
I was thinking the .22 short guns were Model 41-1 marked. They are very accurate and their value is about double a standard Model 41 if I remember correctly. Yes you would have to change the barrel and magazine to shoot .22LR.

·
Super Moderator
10,823 Posts
Some photos would be great. If you have trouble posting them you can email them to me and I’ll get them posted.

Is the frame labeled 22 short, or just the barrel? There was a 22 short conversation kit that is worth a fair amount in its own right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
The alloy slide was on the 41-1. According to the Standard Catalog not all 41-1s have the -1 stamping. There were less than 1000 made between 1960 and 1973. They state the value as triple or more than a standard model 41.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I would be concerned about the aluminum slide and 22 long rifle ammo. I would definitely do some researching on that. Also, there’s the matter of recoil spring weight between the 22 short and 22 long rifle. That a very nice and collectible handgun and I would want to get a good education before possibly ruining a fine handgun.

I would also check if 22 short high velocity would be ok in it or if 22 short standard velocity is recommended. You are doing right by seeking information.

Joe A.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks Series Guy! That's what I believe it is but I'll try to verify further. It will only eat standard velocity ammo while I possess it. I have others for .22lr. Buckmark and 422. Wanting a model 18. No need in abusing a descent 41 or 41-1 for a little more bang.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I did a little researching on the 41-1's aluminum slide and it was part of the 41-1 22 short package. That reinforces my concerns about replacing the the barrel and magazine with a 22 lr barrel. If there is no frame difference and you wanted to fire 22 lr, maybe a complete upper kit including steel slide and recoil springs, etc. may work.

For 22 short ammo, check with CCI. One 22 short offering they have sounds as if it's standard velocity.

Also, you most likely will find information at RimfireCentral forum. Look for the S&W sub forum. Lot's of good guys over there that I'm sure can answer your questions.

Joe A.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all sthe reply. I'm trying to get photos but my camera has shot craps and I only have a "dumb phone". Will get some soon.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Might be better to leave the 41 short alone....keep it as it is and enjoy it.
And get a regular 41 in .22LR if you need more oomph.
My Anschutz Super Match eats standard vel too.....doesn't get shot much.
My P-226 and Buckmark both take CCI Mini Mags and do well....but also do OK with whatever I feed them.

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Welcome! Sounds like an awesome gun! Buy some shorts and see how she does............

1 - 19 of 19 Posts