Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, thank you for allowing me to join your forum. My grandfather passed this gun on to me at his death and was hoping maybe someone could give me an idea of it's origin? (Date manufacture...if the gun is special?)

I'm attaching many photos including the holster that it came in. Serial number on the gun grip is: V 381440. I found another set of numbers behind the cylinder: 32434

Any info would be much appreciated. Respectfully, Berry

IMG_4919.jpg IMG_4922.jpg IMG_4920.JPG IMG_4923.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
19,957 Posts
Welcome to the forum and a very nice Victory you got. They are accurate and fun to shoot. Some of those were made and shipped to England in 38-200 (38 S&W) and were brought back after the war. Yours looked like stayed here and looks to be in very good shape.

·
Registered
27,221 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of your grandfathers passing. Nice inheritance and one to enjoy and pass on.:)

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Hi Berry,

Welcome to the forum!

You have a very nice inheritance that appears to be in very good condition.

As mentioned above, it is a Victory model and more detailed info can be found in many places on the internet. Just do a search for "S&W Victory model M&P" and you can access many sources of info on your gun.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Southern Colorado. Very nice revolver, Berry. An inheritance to be proud of, I know I would like to have a Victory model. If you consider shooting it, and have no previous experience with this revolver, you may consider having it checked by a knowledgeable friend, or a gunsmith to insure the timing is good, and the revolver is functioning correctly. Other than that, enjoy it, and plan on passing it down to one of your kids!!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

Gary

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm attaching many photos including the holster that it came in. Serial number on the gun grip is: V 381440. I found another set of numbers behind the cylinder: ....
The serial places your .38 M&P Victory model in later 1943, around September (+/-).

The numbers in the yoke area are factory assembly numbers, unrelated to the serial. The V serial should match on the butt, underside of barrel, cylinder face, and back of right grip panel; harder to read, also the side of the yoke and back of the extractor star.

The finish looks all-original. If there is a US PROPERTY G.H.D. stamp on the topstrap, it shipped to the military, most likely the Navy. If the topstrap is bare of markings, it shipped through the Defense Supplies Corporation to an authorized civilian user, like police or defense contractor, or the US Maritime Commission

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My grandfather worked at a local airport during WWII as a guard of some sort. He had told me that U.S. planes, often with troops would land for supplies, etc. From what I've read, it's likely this gun was issued to him directly from the U.S. Government for the war effort? I really appreciate all the information.....My grandfathers passed away in 2003 and I recently came across the gun and wanted to find out more about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fantastic information. No US PROPERTY GHD stamp on the topstrap. Grandfather worked at the local airport in Ardmore, OK during the war and said many planes would stop and refuel, pick up supplies on their way to support our troops. It would make sense that he was issued this weapon probably through the Defense Supplies Corporation.

·
Super Moderator
34,462 Posts
Welcome to the forum! welcome01

Looks like a fine old bit of revolver and military history!

·
Registered
9,934 Posts
Welcome mate, priceless inheritance, shoot it in good health.

Thewelshm

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
437 Posts
Fantastic information. No US PROPERTY GHD stamp on the topstrap. Grandfather worked at the local airport in Ardmore, OK during the war and said many planes would stop and refuel, pick up supplies on their way to support our troops. It would make sense that he was issued this weapon probably through the Defense Supplies Corporation.
Indeed. Without the property stamp at that date, and with your description of your grandfather’s job, he likely worked as a civilian employee for a commercial contractor operating at that airport supporting the war effort. A lot of the DSC-contract Victorys went to businesses like that which were not military, but considered war-essential, and thus entitled to purchase guns for their security personnel.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
The Victory Model was sold to an authorized receiver for around $22.00 and change. After the need for security passed they were free to dispose of it as they saw fit. A goodly number of the 4 inch .38 Specials received no post factory markings.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts