Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up this 36-8 yesterday and it is in great working order. I have fallen head over heels in love with this gun and am wondering if I could get some more information from all you folks.

I know that this is a Chef with a 3" barrel but wondering about some of the markings and birth date

Serial is BFU1***
and it has CTG stamped on the barrel, was wondering what this meant.
Also it has import marks from CAI so I was wondering if anyone had any clue on what country this was originally exported to?

This is my first post and realy enjoy the forum, thanks in advance for any info that can be provided.

·
Registered
10,417 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Looking through the S&W Standard Catalog (where you can date their guns through serial numbers), your number isn't specifically listed, but that's not unusual for the modern numbering system. However, by seeing what is listed, I'd think yours was 1990 or 1991. The stamping of C.A.I stands for Century Arms International. The gun may also be marked with Georgia VT. I have a Model 36-5 with those very markings, it's been imported back into the USA and resold. As to where it was in a previous life, I can't say. Mine has a poorly etched number scratched on it so I suppose it was used in a Security Company or maybe even a foreign Police Dept. Some of the other guys on here have forgotten more about S&W's than I will ever hope to know so they might be able to provide you more information. Again, welcome aboard! welcome01

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much fro the birth date, I was able to find what ctg meant feel kind of silly now but oh well. perkgfn

1 - 3 of 3 Posts