Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 38 Chief’s Special Model 60 with wooden stock. SN on butt is AEE9416. On cylinder is 53339 C4 and a sideways S. I can’t find mfg date or any more. Help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,179 Posts
Looks like you need a cylinder release.

·
Premium Member
12,292 Posts
Welcome to the forum. don't shoot your toe off.

Reactions: 1av8r

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello
Model 60 was the first stainless gun S&W produced. They started production in late 60's. Although it's a exact config of a Chiefs Special I've always heard them referenced as "model 60". I bought one new in '70. Colt guys call grips "stocks" and Smith guys call stocks "grips". You can find a cyl release on ebay.

·
Registered
8,179 Posts
. Colt guys call grips "stocks" and Smith guys call stocks "grips". You can find a cyl release on ebay.
Other way 'round. S&W calls them stocks. Like Colt says crane and S&W says yoke.
Other places to look for a cyl. release are Numrich and Jack First.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello
Model 60 was the first stainless gun S&W produced. They started production in late 60's. Although it's a exact config of a Chiefs Special I've always heard them referenced as "model 60". I bought one new in '70. Colt guys call grips "stocks" and Smith guys call stocks "grips". You can find a cyl release on ebay.
Thanks.

·
Registered
8,179 Posts
Thanks, I am pro 2nd amendment, but not into guns so much as many people.
I'm a long term S&W collector. The terminology makes sense in that context. :)
Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
20,716 Posts
Yes, I do. I was told S&W will probably send me one based on their lifetime warranty.
What lifetime warranty? As far as I can tell, they don't have one. They may send you a thumbpiece out of customer service but if something big breaks, they won't work on it. Also you need a barrel nut for the thumbpiece.

Reactions: Eddiek
1 - 19 of 19 Posts