Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still dont know if I HAVE to have one but ... Ever since my freind brought one over I have been looking hard at offerings. Just sexy in a brutish way! I have spotted one with a serial stamped on the bottom of the grip frame that starts N211...

I cant seem to find any information and I dont own their catalog. What years do you suggest it may have been produced? I am looking for a shooter so I am fine with it not being terribly old and only kinda old. :)
Alex

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
The M28 and The various dashes are indeed stout revolvers chambered for the 357 S&W Magnum cartridge. I had a 4” version that was a good revolver. Some folks love them. I merely like them. To me, they were an excellent platform to create other revolvers. My 28-2 was rebuilt into a 45 ACP revolver. I still have it in that configuration.

Other conversions were built and allowed to travel down the road.

Everyone one should have the opportunity to handle and shoot one to see if it is their cup of tea.

Kevin

·
Registered
17,442 Posts
Well, since when does "having to have one" have anything to do with it. Even if it has character marks (use) as long as locks up tight, then it will shoot as good as you can. I would not let it sit wherever it is. Just get it and enjoy it.
IMG_3774.JPG

·
Registered
10,918 Posts
Having just one is possible. Deciding on the one barrel length is the hard part. As for a Model 28, I have one now and content with the 4". It's been molested,,a lot. Zero original finish, target hammer, target trigger and white outline rear sight along with the Houge wood stock.
20191229_081114_1577632555743.jpg

20191229_081028_1577633055115.jpg

·
Registered
203 Posts
The M28 and The various dashed are indeed stout revolvers chambered for the 357 S&W Magnum cartridge. I had a 4” version that was a good revolver. Some folks love them. I merely like them. To me, they were an excellent platform to create other revolvers. My 28-2 was rebuilt into a 45 ACP revolver. I still have it in that configuration.

Other conversions were built and allowed to travel down the road.
Local shop has an M28 6" that has been converted to 44spl, and refinished in a polished blue.

I'm partial to the 4" M28 myself, though my interest in picking one up has cooled considerably since I found a 3.5" M27 that was also a long time desire. .357 just shoots so nicely in these big revolvers! :D

·
Registered
21,964 Posts
Go get it! Shoot it and enjoy it!:D I am fortunate to have a 4" & 6" 28-2. I must say I prefer the 4" due to the trigger.;) Love shooting them both.

20180414_210811-1.jpg

20181006_125248.jpg

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I really like my 4" 28-2. Although I learned to shoot at a young age, this is the first gun I ever owned myself. I wasn't old enuf for the paperwork so I had to give my dad the dinero to get it back in '73. Cost about $106 OTD. A few years later, (not knowing any better) I got rid of the original box. D'OH! About 1980 I decided to gussy it up a bit and had a shiny blue finish put on it along with jeweling on the trigger and hammer, a red ramp front to go with a white outline rear. And while I was at it I added some Cobra stocks. I also get what everyone says about altering a gun like that (especially the re-bluing) but since I will never sell it, who cares? It's 46 years old and still shoots great. Just my two cents.
GO DODGERS!

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

model 28.jpeg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts