Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I may, I would like to post this memorandum. This is my girl Molly who went this day one year ago, June 20, 2008 to wait for me at rainbow bridge. She was just 17, and there hasn't been an waking hour go by in the last year that she hasn't been in my thoughts. Molly was a good dog, and I am proud to say she NEVER, lost a bird, ever. Not one. This was taken after the days hunting was over when we were both in our prime. I still Love & Miss her--

MOLLY:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Good memories.

I buried our Sammy last night. He was 13 and a fine bird hunting Airedale.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
Tusker, that's a moving tribute to an old friend. Well done.

Airedale, I am very sorry for your loss. Truly.

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
Awe that tugged on my heart strings. We never forget our "best friends".

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
JR,

I know that tugging feeling way down in your heart when you remember Molly .... I have it too whenever I think about my old buddy Sebastian....

It's a cruel fact of nature that fine dogs cannot outlive their owners, but it's a gentle lesson in humanity that they show us how to live, love, be loyal and pure of heart.

When that day comes and it's me that's headed for the Rainbow Bridge, the passing will be more kindly knowing that a fine pack of hounds awaits me there....

Your Pal,

Drew

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Tusker Nice tribute for molly. The fist lab I owned his name was Jake. He was a super lab. That was in the 1970's. Back then I did a lot more hunting then I do now. Just about every weekend my friends and I went hunting. On these trips Jake was always at my side. Jake was trained mostly as a duck dog. He sure did a good job at fetching and finding ducks. One weekend we were bird hunting. I owned some property and we hunted the land every chance we had. On one pheasant hunting trip. Jake's life was cut short. He was being trained to hunt pheasants. My friend had Jake with him. Jake was ahead of him trying to flush a bird. Jake did his job very well. When the bird flushed. Jake jumped up trying to catch the bird. He jumped pretty high. My friend took a shot at the bird. The bird was maybe 3 feet off the ground. And so was Jake. When my friend fired one of the pellets. Nailed Jake in the back of the head. He died in my arms. After he was shot. He lasted about 5 minutes. Damn it was very sad. It was not my friends fault. Lucky for him I seen what heppened. Just as he fired Jake decided to leap. I just chalked it off as an accident and it was an accident. That really was one sad day everyone in the hunting party felt bad. I'm still friends with the guy who shot Jake. Every now and then. When my friends and I go bird hunting. Someone will say hide your dogs Bill's here. That's the guy who shot my buddy. It can be funny but sometimes it's sad. Sometimes I miss Jake. After that I never let anyone hunt over or with my dog.

Drew
I agree it would be nice if the dogs could out live us. When I look at the lab I have today. Every now and then I think of Jake. My friends still talk about him. He was a great hunter. He was the type of dog that only comes along once in a lifetime. At least we are lucky enough to have encountered one of those dogs

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Jim,

I knew a fella at my Hunt Club that had a young lab that would take a pheasant out of the air like that.... he used to brag that he limited every weekend and never had to open a box of shells.... Pen raised birds will do that, as will wild birds in the late season.

Exactly the same thing happened with one of Uncle's favorite Beagles "Trail".... my Uncle wasn't as philosophical as you.... he took the fellas shotgun, broke it over a tree and then damn near beat him to death with the pieces.... to be honest, the story goes that the shooter was an idiot dude and my uncle didn't want to take him into the woods, but he was a pal of my uncle's boss so he elbowed his way into the hunt along with the regular crew which included my father. Dad owned the big International 4 x 4 Wagon they used to hunt.

As I understand it my Dad wouldn't let him get in the car and they left the shooter there to walk back home. I was there when my uncle walked into the kitchen carrying Trail and with tears in his eyes he told my grandfather what happened. I can remember Gramp thinking long and then saying "well you done right.... he coulda shot you just as well." Both my uncle and my dad were very fond of that dog. Gramp was a Justice of the Peace and a Town Constable.

Growing up in the Adirondacks, Beagles were our family dogs as the men would run rabbits all winter. It was a big doin' every Saturday morning when the hunting part would meet at my Grandfather's house, pick up my uncle and his dogs and they would head out.... I don't remember ever seeing the dude around again after that day.

Drew

·
Super Moderator
32,549 Posts
I know exactly how you feel. I have gone through it with my friends that are waiting for me at Rainbow Bridge as well. I was always happy and sad at the same time. Sad at the loss, but happy at all the good times I was able to share with my best friends.

I have dated guys in the past who my dogs didn't like and you can guess it. It was a first and last date. I know the dog is trustworthy. ;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Whoever wrote that a dog is a man's best friend wasn't kidding.

Years ago I woke in the middle of the night to the sound of my dog walking across the bedroom floor, his nails clicking as he went. He walked over to his bed and as he settled down, he let out a little contented sigh. I went back to sleep with a smile.

When I woke up the next morning, I remembered that he had died five years earlier.

Molly is still with you.

·
Registered
83 Posts

This is my beautiful Lab "Nash", He crossed the Rainbow Bridge September 2nd, 2008, and still miss him terribly.

I am so sorry for your loss, it is so very hard to lose a freind.

God Bless

·
Registered
67 Posts
JR,
Here's a hug <<TUSKER>> We will always remember those special friends like Molly was to you. One of those once in a lifetime dogs...
You helped me when I lost Jack after 14 great years, and I thank you for it.

·
Super Moderator
32,549 Posts
bean357 said:
JR,
Here's a hug <<TUSKER>> We will always remember those special friends like Molly was to you. One of those once in a lifetime dogs...
You helped me when I lost Jack after 14 great years, and I thank you for it.
LOL. Those three look as lazy as my dogs! :shock: :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
He crossed the Rainbow Bridge September 2nd, 2009, and still miss him terribly.

?????

Ken

·
Registered
128 Posts
It never fails to bring tears to my eyes when I read of someone losing a dog. It makes me feel their sorrow just as I felt mine when I've buried several life -long companions over the years. Folks that dont share the immeasurable love
of a dog have really missed one of GOD'S great gifts in life.
teesur.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Aussie44 said:
He crossed the Rainbow Bridge September 2nd, 2009, and still miss him terribly.

?????

Ken
Typo, he passed September 2nd, 2008, please forgive the typo and confusion.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
We can all share your feelings of your loss. We lost our big Lab "Shadow" in November of 95. The wife and I still talk about him a lot and we smile because he left us with so many warm memories. I'm reminded of what our preacher said about his dog Molly: "If there aren't dogs in Heaven, I don't want to go."

Sincere condolences, Hank

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
J.R.,
My heart goes out to you.
If you read Doc Nonverbal's post, it eerie but true...
The large and lasting imprint a beloved dog leaves truly goes on as long as we're here to remember it.
When Sugar died at 15 (about three years ago), a buddy said, "Don't you wish they could live for fifty years?"
After a few minutes of thought, I answered that I didn't think so...
It's too hard mourning that loss after only 15.
Here's a picture of Sugar and Brodie (he's now 7-1/2), taken a month before she died.
Don

1 - 20 of 20 Posts