Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's another one. I'd been looking for a 4.25" .45 for possible carry and to size match with the 4006 and 5906. Came across a battle worn ex-Police 4566TSW that has a bit of holster wear but internally is in great shape. Grips are a bit nicked up but I have new straight grips on order. Next job is to get it cleaned up and out to the range. Totally hooked on these 3rd Gens!

4566tsw-2.jpg

4566tsw-1.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,795 Posts
I have had mine for about 10 years. You'll like this one alot.

If you have a plastic recoil spring guide, it may cycle roughly. If so, replace it with one of the metal ones and it will resolve the problem.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Marc

4566LeftSideNoSer.jpg

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hit the indoor range this morning and fed it a box of Sellier & Bellot 230gr FMJ and a couple mags of HST 230gr +P. No hiccups at all, as expected.

I'm a mediocre shot at best, and usually with a new pistol I need a couple of magazines at 8 yards just to dial myself into the gun. My groups were tighter at 15 yards than at 8, and my first DA shot at 25 yards was on the 10 dot! I'm very impressed how accurate this thing is.

I have to say, this is the softest, smoothest shooting .45ACP I've shot yet. I am absolutely in love with this thing! What a shame these 3rd Gens were killed off. With minor tweaks and priced right I think a "4th Gen" could have been very competitive with today's all-metal Sigs and Berettas.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have had mine for about 10 years. You'll like this one alot.

If you have a plastic recoil spring guide, it may cycle roughly. If so, replace it with one of the metal ones and it will resolve the problem.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Marc

View attachment 438581
Steel guide rod. It could have been replaced, but based on wear it looks original.

You're 100% correct, I DO like this one a lot. Probably my favorite one of the bunch.

·
Registered
22,209 Posts
Congrats on obtaining that fine .45! Looks to be in great condition. Was considering one of those before I got my XD MOD2 and would still get one if the price was right. Glad it functioned well for you at the range. Thanks for the pics and the range report. :cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have Trijicon re-lamp the night sights for $57.
Hi jsbethel,
How do you do this - getting Trijicon to re-lamp the night sights? I have one of these too and it would be great to be able to see the sights at night!!!
Thanks for the post!!!

·
Premium Member
10,795 Posts
Because of the action feel on my 4566TSW, I believe that there was extra action work producing one of the better large semi-auto pistol triggers I have.

The combination of mass, balance and the tuned action makes these a real winner.

I don't know how many agencies had this pistol, but mine came from a county agency that replaced them with polymer framed pistols about ten years ago.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Here's another one. I'd been looking for a 4.25" .45 for possible carry and to size match with the 4006 and 5906. Came across a battle worn ex-Police 4566TSW that has a bit of holster wear but internally is in great shape. Grips are a bit nicked up but I have new straight grips on order. Next job is to get it cleaned up and out to the range. Totally hooked on these 3rd Gens!

View attachment 438559

View attachment 438561
Glad you like it. But back in the early 90's I had to carry a 5906 as a duty weapon. Worst POS I ever had couldn't get through a 50 round qualification course without several malfunctions. We switched to the SIG P-220 and it was flawless! I retired 12 years later still carrying that same P220.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts