Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent a part of the day today shooting a Lil' 22 rimfire with gallery sights. It was an eyeopener (pun intended). :mrgreen:

I've never shot a rifle with a front and rear peep sight before this one. I did as well if not better without my glasses. Who'd of thunkit? I can focus on the target on the front sight, and forget about the rear sight.

I've shot a number of ghost ring rifles before, but that was for speed. The front and rear peep works great for eyes that are losing their ability to see in close.

Hell, I feel like a youngin' agin' :mrgreen:

Somebody better take this old technology with iron sights and update it!

giz

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Most of the windgauge front sights sold nowadays come with a batch of interchangeable inserts - and most of the little inserts are of the open-ring type to match the sight to the target. Other inserts with posts or Xs are used for silhouette, but the open rings are best for dark round bulls.

Look at the age of most of the BPCR shooters! :lol: I'm considered a youngster in some of the groups around here. Tang sights with an eyecup really close to the eye work well in good light with those of us with old eyes - better than when I was some years younger, IMO. In low light, no aperture sight works really well for me. :| The two-edged sword of presbyopia - old eyes.

I have several rifles with receiver-mounted apertures, too. With those, I can't focus 100% on the target and don't get as sharp a sight picture. Still I prefer a receiver sight on a hunting gun and a tang sight on a target gun.

xtm

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
xtimberman said:
".... Tang sights with an eyecup really close to the eye work well in good light with those of us with old eyes - better than when I was some years younger, IMO. In low light, no aperture sight works really well for me. :| The two-edged sword of presbyopia - old eyes."

".... Still I prefer a receiver sight on a hunting gun and a tang sight on a target gun."
Right On the money!

I have a couple of older Winchesters with Tang Sights that I've had for a while.... Never could shoot them all that well when I was younger, but of late, Voila! Suddenly they are perfect!

More than fourty years ago I cut my teeth in the woods on old Remingtons and Marlins using Receiver Sights.... the first things the Old Guys did with their Lyman or Redfield "Peep" Sights was to throw the aperture away.

I've taken at least one of my deer every year for the past several years with a Receiver Sighted rifle.....

Drew

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
[quote="Sebago Son]
I've taken at least one of my deer every year for the past several years with a Receiver Sighted rifle.....

Drew[/quote]
Let me guess, a Williams Fool Proof?!? :lol:

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
toroflow said:
thepuke

Lyman, Redfield or Marbles.... Williams sights are for cheapskates, flatlanders, newbies and folks that don't know any better.....

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Sebago Son said:
toroflow said:
thepuke

Lyman, Redfield or Marbles.... Williams sights are for cheapskates, flatlanders, newbies and folks that don't know any better.....
HA HA!! I knew that would getcha!!! happyroller

(and as a side note, I have not as of yet removed the "Hurl" FP receiver site from my Win 64 and THROWN IT INTO THE LAKE!!!) :lol:

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Ken,

I wouldn't waste too much time there Amigo.... I hear that crappy sights will cause premature ejection, misfires and loads wide of the mark......

And we don't want that now do we?

'Cides, friends don't let friends shoot junky sights..... :cool:

Drew

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
Sebago Son said:
toroflow said:
thepuke

I have a Williams FP on my Winchester 94. It is an improvement over the Buckhorn (or whatever they call 'em) sights. At least, being a flatlander and a cheapskate.......I can see the sights and hit the target!!! :eh: l;nfPNFIw nfiofnp Sometimes!!!! :oops: Bob

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Bob K said:
[quote="Sebago Son":ibsw400k]
toroflow said:
thepuke

I have a Williams FP on my Winchester 94. It is an improvement over the Buckhorn (or whatever they call 'em) sights. At least, being a flatlander and a cheapskate.......I can see the sights and hit the target!!! :eh: l;nfPNFIw nfiofnp Sometimes!!!! :oops: Bob[/quote:ibsw400k]
Funny thing is, I am going BACK to a buckhorn rear sight, and removing the Williams FP, as I shoot a buckhorn rear sight MUCH better than a receiver peep...go figure! ;)

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
Can't do that anymore. I cut the sight blade off near where it is mounted on the barrel. "You can't go home again" , but I'd prefer a Red Dot, but you can't mount one on a 94 the proper way. I could....if I had a Marlin! :roll: Bob

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Here is an old sight from a 1894 Marlin to be on the lookout for. Drew mentioned that many peep sight users simply unscrew the eyecup for a larger aperture. Lyman knew that many riflemen did this and offered a tang sight with a flip-down aperture - flip it up in good light or when wanting a more precise sight picture.

xtm

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
xtm,

I think that the subject of your photo is the later No.1 A "Combination" sight with locking base and "Turn Down Peep".... considered to be the pinnacle of the No.1 design....

I helped a friend clean up a bunch of NOS Lyman sight parts in the mid 1970's long after the No. 1 was out of production. As I recall Lyman was being sold to the Leisure Group, one of the many holding companies that held title to the Lyman name over the years ..... I still have several such replacement staffs from that trade.... wish I had kept all the real Ivory Beads, No.6 and No.21 parts we got from that trade.... I could surely retire.

Drew

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Yes, you are correct. The little lever with the knurled knob will lock the staff in place when you push it all the way forward.

I admire the usefulness and versatility of this particular Lyman sight!

xtm

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
How is it marked on the bottom of the base?

I could decode it for you from my catalogs.

The mounting screw hole locations look a little close for a Winchester Leveraction Centerfire.

Marlin 36 maybe....

Drew

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I took it off of an original 1894 Marlin.

no stampings on the bottom of the base - just the usual Lyman patent info on the staff

xtm

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
One of the things that irritates me about many tang sights is that they are usually in the way of the thumb on my trigger hand. I'm always looking to find a comfortable way to wrap my bony thumb around the sight base. That doesn't really matter on a target rifle where I'm shooting from the bench and have plenty of time to get into a comfortable position - but it does if I'm out with a heavy-recoiling hunting rifle and can't get a good firm grip on the wrist of the stock!

Here is an 1895 Winchester with a Marble's tang sight and base. This particular sight base moves the staff back and closer to the comb of the stock where you can get a good unencumbered grip on the wrist.

The bolt on a '95 Win. is so long that a normal positioning of the tang sight base would allow the bolt to strike the sight staff. This ingenious base design moves it back out of the way of the bolt and your thumb.

xtm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts