Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19,388 Posts
The REAL truth about guns (handguns, rifles and others) is, without ammunition, they are useless and expensive trinkets.

Reactions: gearchecker

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Federal’s CEO says there’s plenty of ammunition. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The REAL truth about guns (handguns, rifles and others) is, without ammunition, they are useless and expensive trinkets.
I'm well stocked on ammo and not hurting one bit.

Reactions: Checkman and TTSH

·
Premium Member
13,674 Posts
The S&W third generation pistols were an icon of their time. Solid. Well made. Flexible design. Wide range of calibers and sizes within families. They were too good to last into these days.

I now only have one, a 4566TSW, left. But it's a keeper, and one of my friends and students got the 3904...

Reactions: TTSH

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
One thing that I don't get about the 3rd Gens is it's often lamented that we'll not see the likes of them again in this day and age, because they would be too expensive to produce.

Well, with that being said, why then is there such a proliferation of metal framed 1911's still (and successfully) being produced at various price points/configurations, by multiple manufacturers? That wouldn't be done if they were unprofitable or too expensive to produce.

I don't think there's too much difference in the amount of machining needed to produce those versus a 3rd Gen. I bet S&W simply does not want any internal competition with the M&P pistols to re-emerge. I suspect that competition was the reason in the first place, that S&W killed them off.

The 3rd Gens were stunting sales of the then new M&P line, so the 3rd Gens needed to die in order order for the M&P's to live on.

Reactions: Checkman

·
Registered
26,128 Posts
IF you are willing to pay for it.
Not always; IF you happen to be in the right place at the right time, ammo is available at fairly normal pricing. I found some 100 round Remington 22LR subsonic for $6.78/box

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Not always; IF you happen to be in the right place at the right time, ammo is available at fairly normal pricing. I found some 100 round Remington 22LR subsonic for $6.78/box
Your phrase: "If you happen to be in the right place at the right time...." is very true.

Some of you are really lucky to live where you can go to a variety of places to look, and even to some of the chain stores if you know what day their shipments come in. A lot of us, however, have a few local gun stores but most don't get any ammo in and if they do get some it's gone very quickly.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Your phrase: "If you happen to be in the right place at the right time...." is very true.

Some of you are really lucky to live where you can go to a variety of places to look, and even to some of the chain stores if you know what day their shipments come in. A lot of us, however, have a few local gun stores but most don't get any ammo in and if they do get some it's gone very quickly.
Yeah, with Walmart out of the "evil ammo" business and pretty much out of everything else, I'm just about 100% reliant on Bass Pro and Cabela's for ammo at pre-crisis prices... but they haven't had anything on my last 5 or so visits to each. Total waste of time. I've heard that staff at each calls their friends if anything comes in and it's gone instantly. In fact, I've witnessed it happening.

So until something changes for the better... which isn't very likely under Dementia Joe... I live with what I have and am thankful for it. In most calibers, I'm likely better off than most. (y)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Super Moderator
19,900 Posts
I work in a gun shop that gets in regular supplies of ammo. The owner deos everything in his power to keep the prices as low as possible. Last week a 50 round box of CCI Blazer 124 gr. 9mm FMJ ammo was sold at $19.95 a box. 230 grain 45 ACP was $24.99 a ox. Sadly they had to put a 2 box limit on them. As employees we're not to buy any of it on shipment day. If there is any left at the end of the day we have an opportunity to buy some of it. So far, it's pretty uncommon for any of us to get any of that ammo, mostly because we don't need it..

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
No issue for me either. Just sold 1000 .223 loaded rounds for a buck each to a local guy.
Well, I sold off 500 rounds of Federal 9mm 115 Gr ammo around the beginning of the crisis and I sure as heck ain't gonna make that mistake again. It seemed like a good idea at the time because I wanted to acquire 124 Gr instead, but my timing was all wrong and my grand plan crashed and burned worse than the Hindenburg disaster. :( Now, I wouldn't sell one more round of anything for anything. I'm hoarding it all. :cool: Lesson learned... the hard way. :cry:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am collecting the 3rd Gen Smiths and love them with or without ammo. I don't think there would be competition to the M&P line but I do believe they would cost about the same to produce as lets say Ruger, Springfield, Colt, Kimber, and yes the E series by Smith leaving the budget ones out of it. The real question is would they sell enough at the higher price point to support the line. When the M&P line is considerably less to produce and would be a more budget friendly buy compared to an all steel 5906 in todays market you have to ask the business question can it support itself in the current market. I have all 6 of the 3rd gen 06 series starting at the 3906 and ending at the 1006. I can honestly say they are great pistols and I would continue to purchase them if they were available.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I am collecting the 3rd Gen Smiths and love them with or without ammo. I don't think there would be competition to the M&P line but I do believe they would cost about the same to produce as lets say Ruger, Springfield, Colt, Kimber, and yes the E series by Smith leaving the budget ones out of it. The real question is would they sell enough at the higher price point to support the line. When the M&P line is considerably less to produce and would be a more budget friendly buy compared to an all steel 5906 in today's market you have to ask the business question can it support itself in the current market. I have all 6 of the 3rd gen 06 series starting at the 3906 and ending at the 1006. I can honestly say they are great pistols and I would continue to purchase them if they were available.
3rd Gens are what got me back into S&W handgun collecting after a long time away. I loved the value they represented in an all-metal handgun. I bought my first ones back in 2014 and I've been collecting and shooting them ever since.

I especially like the alloy-framed guns and I'm a big fan of the later-produced Value Line 3rd Gens. Two big reasons for that: They are MA-Compliant and they are available "As-New-In-Box" in a lot of cases. I also like the clean, uncomplicated, all-business look of the Value Line guns. (y) But there are certainly plenty of other models to choose from. :)

Will they ever come back to life as brand new production guns in the age of plastic? I doubt it... and it's really not necessary. Plenty of used ones out there from dirt cheap "Used & Abused" cop guns and re-imports to "As-New-In-Box" sock drawer guns. (y) Some of the rare/scarce ones are in short supply for sure, but that's life. :) If they ever brought them back into production as brand new guns, I probably couldn't afford them anyway. :whistle:

·
Registered
185 Posts
You never know Smith brought back a lot of the revolvers of the day not exactly the same but you never know maybe a 3rd Gen Classic line could be in the future. That would be a cool way to pay respect to the line one day. What I am surprised about is with all the import copies of different guns. I have not seen any real Smith Semi-Auto Copies, something out of Turkey maybe. I Know its Blasphemy, but still surprised not to see any with the following they have here are my 6 from 3906 - 1006
Wood Font Machine Hardwood Bumper

·
Registered
90 Posts
Awesome gun, photos and article.
I'm a long-time S&W fan (since 1976) and started using S&W semis in 1989, when my job finally approved the carry of semi-autos in place of revolvers. Beginning that year, I carried, interspersed with periods of going back to revolvers (for no other reason than I could,) a 2d Gen 669, a 6906, and a 3913. The last one, used until my retirement in 2014, was an amazing firearm - in the years that I carried it as a duty gun (around 10 or 11) it never failed to fire in hundreds of rounds every year. Never. And as for accuracy. it made me look good. It's still one of my small group of "ready to carry" guns for bummin' around in Retirement Heaven. 😁(y)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts