Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
8,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've carried a Colt Mustang in .380 as a BUG for a while now. It fits in my pocket quite well. But I've always thought it would be a little underpowered if I ever really needed to use it. My regular carry is a Dan Wesson Guardian in 9mm so I'm thinking the BUG should be a 9 also.

The Sig p365 SAS has kinda caught my eye. I put the Mustang next to one today and the dimensions are almost the same with the Sig having the advantages of 10 rounds of 9mm compared to 6 rounds of .380. Plus, no hammer or conventional sights to snag.

The truth is I've never had to resort to a BUG. In fact, it's never even come close. Still, I carry one and always will.

Do any of y'all have experience with the Sig? What are your thoughts? My LGS is willing to trade me into it for a very reasonable price but I just want to verify it's a smart trade before going for it. All comments welcome.

·
Super Moderator
19,967 Posts
The Sig P365 SAS is quite possibly one fo the finest conceal carry pistols ever designed. My shop can't keep them in stock. They'll run just about any self defense ammo that you can put in them. They're rated for +P, and from everything our customers tell us they're perfection. If I didn't already carry 2 pistols I would have added the SAS a few months ago. To this day, whenever I pull one up and look down those sights, it simply amazes me how Sig ever pulled it off, building such a small pistol with so mant great features.
I truly believe that getting one will be a decision you won't regret. Lastly, sell the Colt, don't trade it.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I carried a S&W Model 342ti as a backup when I worked full time in the field. After retirement, I found a Model 940 and carried as my primary or backup to a larger caliber when hunting or on the farm. I was able to secure an early P365 and never looked back. Same size/smaller and with extended mag, triple the capacity. The 940 is retired.

·
Super Moderator
14,087 Posts
The SIG P365 is a good choice. So is the 938 if you want to stick with single action and metal frames.

Reactions: carl418 and jeepnut

·
Registered
20,043 Posts
Pretty soon, you'll be carrying a claw hammer instead.

·
Super Moderator
19,967 Posts
The best part of the SAS is the no snag features. I call it a slab side since the mag release and slide locks are flush to the frame, and the sight is a flush mounted light pipe design that holographs the sight alignment for the front and rear sights. If you've never looked thru the Sig SAS sights you'll be amazed how well they work.

·
Administrator
8,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I guess my mind is made up. My LGS is getting two in this week and I'll call in the morning to verify I want one of them. Now if I could just find some good 9mm JHP ammo...

Thanks for all the helpful info, everyone.

·
Banned
696 Posts
Pretty soon, you'll be carrying a claw hammer instead.
IF you can show paperwork, such as a dated sales receipt, or a building permit with dates current. And only to/from the jobsite, and you better have some 16Ds handy to prove intent....

I don't have the SAS, but I work at a small town hardware store with a gun counter, and traded my Kahr PM9 in on a P365, brought it home, had the wife confiscate it within 30 minutes, went in to work the next day and asked the boss to put my name on the next 365ms that came through, and then traded her M&P Shield in on it. Both of ours have the conventional Sig Night Sights and the Manual Safety option, and they are perfect for us, + the added commonality of magazines, etc.
She still has her 642, I still have my M&P 340, 'cause hey, wheelguns! 'Nuf said...

You know, the thing is, when the boss and I went to the Ellett Bros Distributor show, the year they rolled that P365 out, they did it at the day two breakfast sponsored by Sig/Leupold, and for some reason, he and I looked at it and went "Ho-Hum...", maybe we were burnt out on the open bar from the night before, or from handling the "latest thing" from every other vendor, but they made barely a ripple with us. We've since corrected our faulty thinking on that, and we have sold a few Hellcats also, and they are nice too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
IMO, if you already haven't done so, I wouldn't get rid of the Mustang. Reason one, and probably the most important to me, would be that Colt isn't making the Mustangs any more. So, they are going to keep going up in value. Second reason is that with the right ammo, the .380 can get the job done to save your bacon. Now, if you just wanted to go to a 9mm as your BUG, the P365 is an excellent choice. I have one myself and it's been superb in functioning and accuracy. If you get one, I don't think you'll regret the decision.

·
Administrator
8,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You make some logical points but I think having the same ammo for both guns makes more sense. And I've carried this Mustang for years now, and it shows in worn areas. Any sort of collectibility is gone. I could be making a mistake by not keeping it in hopes of selling it later for more money but I've got plenty of other more collectible guns for that. Time to let this one go.

By the way, I pick up the Sig Sunday. It's already at my LGS but I won't have time to go there until then. He told me he's already had a few offers to outbid me for it, to give you an idea how desperate people are to buy something!

·
Super Moderator
14,087 Posts
It's sublime when a plan comes together. Congratulations on your soon to be new SIG.

Try it with one of the lightweight Kydex fitted holsters. I buy them from one of a number of vendors on Ebay. Prices usually around $20 or so... I prefer the plastic belt clip that has an angled lip.

Example:

Small, lightweight, waterproof, effective retention.

·
Administrator
8,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the tip on the holster. I have one on the way..

·
Administrator
8,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I picked it up today and shot it this afternoon. Starting with ball ammo, and ending with the carry rounds that'll be used. It shot everything flawlessly. I'm most pleased.

This is the ammo I carry in my Dan Wesson and now in this. It's hotter than plinking ammo but it doesn't say it's +P. Still, very accurate and strong enough.

·
Registered
23,461 Posts
I think you'll be very happy w/ that one. Mine has proven 100% reliable even held sideways (never know when you could get knocked down) & is pretty accurate.

Reactions: carl418

·
Registered
28,348 Posts
I have two 365s and the missus scarfed one for herself after she shot it. SIG sold a kydex holster that could be used ambidextrously and IWB or OWB and was all of $20. I like mine so much, my Glock 19 was sold and replaced with this as my EDC

1 - 20 of 26 Posts