Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never thought it would happen, but I'm kinda getting into Glocks. Or at least one Glock in particular. A friend at work offered up a .40 caliber Model 23 (medium sized with the tactical rail), in the box with new night sights and four mags. The price was $400 and I jumped on it.

I shot it in a few "off-duty" combat matches (4 1/4" barrels or less) in my local league, but the .40 S&W caliber ammo was rather pricey. My friend told me about the Lone Wolf .40 to 9mm barrel that just swaps in and uses the stock 9mm recoil spring. I bought one for $109 and I bought four Glock 19 9mm mags for $20 each new online.

I shot the converted 9mm today for the sixth match and continues to shoot wonderfully. I'm very happy with it.

I couldn't pass up CDNN's deal last month for 33 round factory Glock 9mm magazines at just $33 each. There's something about these long factory mags that's just plain fun!

-Steve

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Steve,

There's plenty to like about a Glock 23. It's my daily carry. Mine shoots like a laser and has not had one single malfunction in the 5 or 6 years I've owned it.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
I EDC a G-23 and even own the smaller one [ G-27 ] but prefer the 23 as it just fits my hand and I can conceal it well.My favorite holster is the Glock sport holster as it rides VERY close to the body and offers enough security that the G wont ever come loose.Its also VERY reasonable as to price - about 14.00 give or take a dollar.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I have a really cool Glock. Can't shoot anything with it. It's a knife. You gotta get up close and personal with it. You know, stick it in their ass and twist. Twice. Or, if you're really perverted and wicked like me, thrice.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I have acquired three of the ugly plastic things in the last 10 or so months.

They do not lend themselves to gazing at craftsmanship or marveling over fit and finish, but they seem to perform the function of propelling a projectile accurately and reliably.

I am not at all surprised that they have become one of the best selling handguns in the world...

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
IMO, Glocks are the easiest autoloaders for long time DA revolver shooters to master. If I were a prowler or home-invader, I wouldn't bet against Mrs. xtm and the G-26:

P.S. I'm a big fan of the 2-Dot Heinie Figure 8 sights, and they work especially well on all Glocks...

xtm

·
Registered
668 Posts
I've had tons of fun with combat tupperware. They ALWAYS work, and special courses of fire have long been devised that make anything short of 30 rounds w/o reload seem archaic.

Then again, I've never been fortunate enough to own a 33 round magazine that actually worked properly regardless of being "factory Glock".

Never a glitch with the smaller capacity units, just that dern 33er never works for me....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Been there and used the glocks,g17,g26,g19,g36, and g23 which was the last glock I had and traded it for a SW686-3 2.5". Did not like the cheap feel and never felt safe carrying one. The older M-19,2.5" and 642-1 or 686-3 are perfect carry defence guns for me. I have given up on the bottom feeders. The 357 magnum is one round that you can count on to end a gunfight fast. It lets the air out of them and they just melt dead in there tracks.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
jeep said:
Been there and used the glocks,g17,g26,g19,g36, and g23 which was the last glock I had and traded it for a SW686-3 2.5". Did not like the cheap feel and never felt safe carrying one. The older M-19,2.5" and 642-1 or 686-3 are perfect carry defence guns for me. I have given up on the bottom feeders. The 357 magnum is one round that you can count on to end a gunfight fast. It lets the air out of them and they just melt dead in there tracks.
Jeep,I dont believe in 'magic' bullets NO MATTER what caliber.I have seen post-mortums of those that took 44 mag rounds and continued to be able to fight.I am of the humble opinion that its WHERE ya hit them - than with what.And yes I do own 4 357's,and even carry them [ on occassion ].

·
Registered
31 Posts
We carry the Glock 9mms here at my job, a most excellent choice for a carry pistol.

I carry a G17 daily at work, and a G19 off-duty.

As far as the 9mm vs whatever question;
Our duty ammo is the 124gr +P Gold Dot, which cronos out of my gun at 1275-ish FPS, and the 127gr Ranger-T runs over 1300 from my G17.

Back in the day a switched-on detective type would often carry a 2 1/2" model 19 or 66, and with our Federal 125gr duty ammo those launched a bullet at, well, 1250-1275-ish.
I note that the .357mag was seen as quite the "Manstopper" back then, and no one wanted to step in front of one of those bullets, yet the ballistically identical 9mm is still seen as a girly/wussy gun.

·
Registered
593 Posts
tpd, funny how that seems to work......

My tactical tupperware is made by S&W, and I prefer the heavier 147 grain slugs, but damned if I do not feel undergunned with a 9x19.

·
Registered
593 Posts
tpd223 said:
the Gold Dot, Ranger-T and HST all work fine.
I have Gold Dots and RA9Bs (Bonded Rangers)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts