Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Nframe,

Congrats on the new 629. Sounds like you got a winner. I love shooting the 44 mag.

I read on the Classic Hunter thread that you had a 6"r but didn't like it, and I've read that others seem to go for the shorter bbls on the 44.

I'm curious as to why you don't like the 6"r. All of my S&W revolvers are 6", 6 1/2" or 7 1/2" and I love each one and the bbl length is part of it. I just haven't gotten around to getting any short bbls.

Just curious.

Dave

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Chris, I've got one just like yours but in Carbon Steel. It's just about the best balancing 6- gun I own, albeit very heavy....

The boys both learned to shoot center fire revolvers with this gun and .44 Special loads....

I had a 629 walk in the door tonight too... an 8 3/8" -1. I really didn't want it, but the seller was begging me to take it.... it's criminal what I paid, but the seller set the price ... and thanked me profusely when he left with the cash.....

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had just lost interest in wheelguns altogether, my 1911's were and still are seeing most of the use. I just got the itch to have a 44 to use hunting again.
I used to have a 29-5 5" the same as this 629 but a good buddy of mine out in Idaho has it now and regularly uses it to shoot jackrabbits. ;)

The last few 44's I have had really liked my load of 296 and a Rem. 240 jhp. It burns clean and I'm confident shooting it to 50 yards. (my personal limit if hunting with a handgun)

Drew, what are you going to do with that long barrel 629? There is a good thread on the blue forum about having one cut down..... ;)

Chris

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Chris,

I'm glad my money was well spent. ;)

I know that I've told you this, but that very gun is one of just a couple that I knew I should have bought. A NIB 5" 629 Classic was for sale for the longest time at the Brunswick Gun Shop, and another haunt up by Giz's house had two 657 Mountain Guns. Back in the day I was just a struggling single guy and I couldn't justify either one. tnbtlaa Both shops have long since closed.

I'm looking forward to a picture later this fall with you and a fat SC whitetail taken with the 629. kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Nframe said:
Drew, what are you going to do with that long barrel 629? There is a good thread on the blue forum about having one cut down..... ;)

Chris
Yo Chris! Not sure what I'm gonna do with this hawgleg.... it needs wheels.... I might cut it, or maybe trade it to DW..... he likes revolving rifles..... :cool:

I'm open to suggestion I guess....

G

·
0 Posts
Chris,

Good to see that old habits are hard to break...
Nobody can buy just one.... :|

giz

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Nframe: Back in the saddle agin - Ridin the range once more - totin your old 44!

I'm glad to see your 629 Classic has a five inch barrel, same as mine.
I love my old model 29 with an 8 and three eights inch barrel, but my empenage (tail section) is built too close to the ground to tote it in anything but a shoulder holster.

The good news on the 5 inch 629, besides packing it in a hip holster, is it lays them rounds in there and is a lot easier on my hand than my 629 Mountain Gun when burning up ammo.

Congrats and enjoy.

Hank

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Carl, thanks! Good to "see" you back how are things?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I sold my 25-2 that I bought new in '82 a couple of years ago because I had to have a 1911. The bluing was worn & it was nicked up because I carried it for my armored car job for many years. I recently got the bug for revolvers again so I got a m&p 340 and just 3 weeks ago found a NIB 329 NG and I couldn't resist. Very happy with it found a holster and carry it now when I want a change. It is just slightly less concealable than my EMP. I hope I can slow down on the revolver thing so I don't go broke.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Well, you guys have done it to me again! I was/am perfectly happy with my 6" 29C that rides on my hip when I hunt during gun season, but now you have "made me" want a 5" 629. It would ride easier on the hip as well as being a good companion to my 5" 27 and 1989 model 625 which are two of my favorite Smith revolvers, but I was saving for something else. Something about best laid plans would fit here I guess.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I read from a phone with a small field of view so when I hit new posts and went to page 2 I had no idea it was 2009 so I feel stupid. Sorry. I need to get a real computer!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts