Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14,820 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You have a revolver that has had the barrel cut down and has been refinished. I am willing to be that the serial number on the butt of the grip frame starts with a V. Usually these were former British Service Revolvers, used in WW2 and were chambered in 38 S&W, then later converted to 38 Special when cut down and refinished. When the barrel was cut down the front locking lug was removed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sn on the but-handle starts with the #7 has same #,s on spindle but has different #,s on inside of frame I said it's a 38 but I recently learned that 357 magnum fits fine to now I realy cunfused
Welcome to the forum. You have a revolver that has had the barrel cut down and has been refinished. I am willing to be that the serial number on the butt of the grip frame starts with a V. Usually these were former British Service Revolvers, used in WW2 and were chambered in 38 S&W, then later converted to 38 Special when cut down and refinished. When the barrel was cut down the front locking lug was removed.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Probably just a bad boring job to lengthen the chambers for 38 Special. I would not recommend shooting 357s out of that gun even if they "fit".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
14,820 Posts
The sn on the but-handle starts with the #7 has same #,s on spindle but has different #,s on inside of frame I said it's a 38 but I recently learned that 357 magnum fits fine to now I realy cunfused
Then it was made before they started the V series, but still an early war gun. It has been cut and reamed. I would not shoot magnums, even if they fit.
From the finish, I would say that some markings were buffed away before nickel was applied

·
Premium Member
20,150 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts