Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well gang it is time to ask, once again, if you could only have 'ONE' S&W revolver, which one would you choose? I ran this thread a few years ago but we have many new members and some of the older members may have had a change of mind. So trot em out, we do like pictures, and explain why you would choose this one particular revolver. I would think an older member like '****' might choose one of his model/or pre-model 28's, and Iggy might choose his model-58, 41 mag. My last choice was a 629 Mountain Gun - I've had a change of mind.

My model 13-1 357 magnum. The reason for my choice is: It delivers the 158 grain JHPs to point of aim at 25 yards, this particular bullet is what I refer to as a utility round, good for defense against two legged or four legged critters, at least in my neck of the woods. It also is about as large a revolver as I can carry concealed in an inside the waist holster. And lastly, for some inexplicable reason it delivers what I think is uncanny accuracy for a fixed sight revolver. And this is why I choose it over my 3-inch model-65.

Let's see em.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Well Hank if I looked in my safe and could only pull one out ........ oh my ........ I think it would be the 38/44 HD .

Gun Revolver Firearm Starting pistol Airsoft gun

It is cosmetically challenged , with a less than perfect nickel refinish , but it's -

An N frame
A 4" barrel
Made when Smiths were lovingly crafted ( or at least we want to think so )
Sooo soft shootin'

What else can I say ?

Regards ,
George , my 686 is right mad at me I think

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
George these HD's have always been good shooters and I don't know if you could wear one out, it sure was overbuilt for the 38 cartridge or 38/44. On top of that it has aesthetics that make it a mighty desirable revolver. I have some 5-inchers, why? The aesthetics!

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
I guess if I could only have one S&W Wheel Gun, (Oh the horror of it all) I would have to go with my 686-3. It is my first S&W, and the only one I have ever bought new. I shoot it well, and it feels good in my hand.

Here it is posing with my 657.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I suppose I'd pick my Model 15-3, but only because of concealed carry.

If we took that out of the equation, it would be my 24-3.

I'm becoming a big fan of the 44 special. Good shooting, and easy to load for. Just a bit too large for easy carry.

·
Registered
687 Posts
This is a real problem...Because I like both COLT and SMITH & WESSON....BUT if it has to be a S&W..Maybe, I like the 13, 3" as well but I also have a love affair with these...Hard to choose..686 DCM Silhouette, Improved Model, (Great little carry gun) and of course the 29-2.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I DO only have one S&W revolver, the others are Eibar made, Ruger or Frontier Arms. So my vote is my 3rd model .44HE, what's not to like about an N frame? I've shot newer S&W revolvers and they just don't feel "right" unless they are at least the same size. Smaller than an N frame just feel too little, but, I do wear 4x gloves...

Looking for a later N frame, when the right one comes along...

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Only one, Eh? Hmmmmm.....

I think it would have to be this one, my 4" Model 28-2 Highway Patrolman:

My reasoning behind this choice:

.357 Magnum/.38 Special caliber versatility, good for plinking, hunting in a pinch, and defense against most ANY two- or four-legged Varmints.....
In an extended "dry spell" for ammunition, a pound of powder goes a LOOOOONG way in reloading for these calibers.....
Trigger like Butter.....
Built like a Tank, but with graceful lines, and snag-free edges.....
As accurate as I can ever hold it.....
Pleasant recoil absorption, even with HOT .357 loads.....
Can be concealed easily inside the belt.....
Utilitarian finish, durable and pleasing, but not as fancy as a Model 27 (which I'd CRY if I scratched the finish on one!).....

This choice was in NO small part, due to you guys here showing off your N-Frame .38's (Thanks, AzMick!)....I have discovered their versatility, and if there WAS only ONE S&W I could take, this one would be it....There WILL be more of the 28-2's on down for the Zeus Household, in the near future.....

And George, my .38/44's ain't happy with this decision, either.....:D

DocZeus
AKA
David

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
For sentimental reasons I would never part with the old Model 58.

For a practical gun today that meets all of my needs I would have to say it would be one of my 3 1/2" Model 27's.

Concealable,but powerful and accurate enough for anything I might come up against these days.

·
Registered
11,053 Posts
Hank, you know me, it is still the 4" Model 28 four screw. For every reason given before, the .357/38 Spcl gun is so versitale and in the N frame, a pleasure to shoot. Of course the Highway Patrolman is the one that suits me, a bit rough around the edges, maybe even 'unrefined' (I can relate to that). This one has been abused, refinished, but a fantastic shooter.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Easy one... View attachment 9773

The 3 inched barreled K-frame .357 Model 65.

The closest thing to "one size fits all" in a revolver

1. It can be loaded from "mild to wild" including shot shells
2. It's barrel is long enough to be accurate & exhibit good velocities
3. It's barrel is short enough to conceal well
4. It's heavy enough to be comfortable during long range sessions
5. Yet it's light enough to carry concealed all day

·
Premium Member
20,361 Posts
If I HAVE to Choose

Huh01 I HAVE to choose? Well, if I must, I've got to go along with DocZeus. The Model 28 .38/.357 is the most versatile: accurate and powerful firearm with readily available ammo.

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To all my "N-Frame" Amigos - It was hard for me to pass on any of these. I favor the N-frames, and the 357 mag will handle any chore I have in mind. But I was looking at everyday carry and use.

This 5-inch 27-2, one of my favorites.

Like Iggy and Geezer I really like the three and a half inch 357 N-frame 357.

Like ****, my old 5-screw pre model-28 has been my companion on many a woods walk, almost felt like I betrayed this old timer. . .So choosing wasn't easy.

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Hi Hank (et al):

You and several other forum friends know about my long standing Love Affair with 3 1/2" Model 27's Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Gun accessory click to enlarge

My logic reflects the balance, recoil absorbtion, easy/smooth/quick holster draw (speed to battery), fast follow-up shot capability, caliber proliferation, etc.

However, since finding my personal "Grail" gun this year (1926 N Frame 3rd Model Hand Ejector) that I've wanted for over 35 years and my great appreciation for the .44 caliber (both Magnum & Special)......"If" I'll only have one choice of S&W's out of the safe, it'll have to be this one Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory click to enlarge

Indeed, I feel strongly about this caliber and N Frames as a whole Gun Revolver Firearm Trigger Airsoft gun Gun Revolver Firearm Trigger Starting pistol Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol click to enlarge

Regards All,

Geezer

1 - 20 of 87 Posts