Smith And Wesson Forums banner
41 - 60 of 135 Posts
Easy question. My 4" 624. 44 special is still the best revolver cartridge ever developed, and I don't care what Mike Venturino says. ;)

Reactions: Poohgyrr
Parson,

I have an article Venturino wrote (Petersen's Handguns, Jan '88) on the .44 Special, and he said about the opposite from his recent AH piece. I think he had more hair then (like me).
kihfL

;) ;)

.357 Mag.......that's an improved .38 Spec.! (And a great improvement! ;) ) If you really need a bigger bullet, why not give it some extra poop......a .44 Mag is the way to go!!! kfjdrfirii ;) Bob

Not only is it a beautiful gun to me, but this 27 has a little more significance. It came into my possession on our first trip to Tulsa. There, we (Tim & I) were honored to meet Chris (Nframe) who is also my SWCA sponsor. Chris knew I was looking for a 3 1/2" 27, and steered this one my way! And, last but not least the grips are a set of rosewoods that were beautifully refinished by DW. Many thanks to you both!
Oh yea, Chris is also responsible for me doing the woodpile pic...can't bring myself to do a Giz pic "on the rocks" :lol:

Discussion starter · #45 ·
Nice picture bean 357, the grips are particularly nice. I have found the 3 1/2" N-fame 357 to be highly favored here in the forum - Not to mention that those armed with one are well armed indeed.

Hank

My most favorite revolver is my ole 29-2. It would be hard to carry concealed but I'd part with this one last. In fact I love it so, I have a brand new spare if I ever fubar the normally fired one. Here is the picture of the just rebuilt one and the new one.

Hey 500 Magnum nut, which 29 is new and which one is old?!?! Can't tell, they're both PRISTINE!! And are they 6.5"ers? A few years ago I bought a 29-2 6.5" nickel in 99% condition just because that was the gun I learned to shoot pistols on at age 13 in 1973!! The gun back then was my uncle's, and his friend that worked for Western Hogee (sporting goods wholesaler) in L.A. Kalifornia had a difficult time getting a pair of 29s (he had a blued 6.5" also) at the time due to the Dirty Harry craze. My cousin (who was 10 at the time) and I learned to shoot that day with those 29s! Full power loads and factory target grips too!! I don't recall the recoil being a problem...although that was so long ago I barely remember!

And bean, them rosewood grips are gorgeous! Wish I could find me a pair, I have a set just like it on my 17-3 8", given to be by my brother-in-law back in the 70s...he got them off his LAPD issued model 15! Man, them were the days!

Bob K said:
why not give it some extra poop......a .44 Mag ;) Bob
Lighter weight, better balance, enough power with less recoil. I rarely shoot my 44 mags any more unless it's with +P 44 special-level loads. The 44 special, 357 mag, or standard-loaded 45 Colt do everything I need. So, the 44 special is my favorite. I do handload it hotter than factory standard, mostly using Skeeter's load, but I do not "magnum-ize" it. If you need a magnum, use the magnum.

Discussion starter · #50 ·
I started this thread with a practical choice, a 629 Mountain Mag - I still hold fast on that. But, I never said the Mountain Mag 629 was my favorite.
However, if pushed on which is my favorite - I'd have to say my 5 inch nickle model 27 would be it.
My preference for a belt gun is a five inch barrel and find that a 357 Magnum can do most of what I need done. The heavy N-frame tames recoil and in rapid fire I feel recovery time between shots may be shorter,
although I have never measured the time.
Wish I had a better picture to post, anyway -

Out of the revolvers that I have if I could only have one it would be my 686.

I would go with a 4" Model 57 in .41 Magnum. Either P&R for "coolness & collectability", or a non-P&R. I've had both and they shoot equally well. I like the look and feel of the gun, it's accuracy and authoritative power. The recoil is moderate for me and I just plain have a great time shooting them. I also like the adjustable sights. I suppose I will pick up a Model 58 one of these days, but so far the 57 does everything I want and more.

Munsoni aka Beemerrider

19-3 in 6". I just love shooting that Smith double action. A 17-3 is another one. Of course, I'd hate not having either my 625 or my 25-5. Well, it's a good thing I can have more than one.

I have a nice 28-2 that was sweetened-up by Cylinder & Slide that's a keeper.

If I could have but one S&W revolver I would have but 1 of each of them shown on this post.
If not but truly 1 and no others, my 14-3 6" K-38 Masterpiece.
Best shooting revolver I have ever fired. Better than my brothers Python
My wife likes it too.

Well, I only own one, so by default I guess I would be able to keep it........................ right? ;)

Not a real EASY question, but...after LOTS of thought, I believe I'd hafta' go with a Four-inch 686...Now, do I want it to be a "Traditional" Six-shooter, or a "High Speed, Low Drag, Tacti-Cool" Seven-shot 686 "Plus"??? Oh, the AGONY!!!....mikey357

41 - 60 of 135 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.