Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suppose I had to sell my Smith & Wessons, which one would I keep. I wonder how many on the forum may have given this a thought. There are many reasons why you might pick a particular revolver, it might be practical, it may be the one you shoot the best with, it could even be sentimental. I'd be interested in seeing what you might post. As for me, it would be a practical choice. I want a powerful handgun, that is easy to carry, is versatile in different loadings such as hunting loads or defence loads.

So my pick would be the model 629, 44 magnum Mountain Gun. . . What is your's

·
Registered
95 Posts
This is a 1972 vintage 66 no dash unfired in the box.
I would go with it..38/357 which suit my needs.
SS and that is great for where I live and is easy to pack open or concealed.
Enough punch for man or beast...plus I have many, many rounds.
This Smith fell into my lap last week and was a buy @ $400.00
Big bore mags beat me up these days.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Aussie44 said:
ncOoaao ..Or any S&W 44 Mag.

Ken

That would be my choice as well. I might go with a Blue 4" 29, because it it was the only S&W I had it would get shot a lot, and I think the Blue Steel guns might hold up a little better than Stainless.

·
Registered
593 Posts
azmick said:
There is just something about a 4" N frame in 357 Magnum. More so when it's a Model 28 no dash
azmick, Did the critter die immediately when the pistol landed on it? hpnpap

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
NE450No2 said:
Aussie44 said:
ncOoaao ..Or any S&W 44 Mag.

Ken

That would be my choice as well. I might go with a Blue 4" 29, because it it was the only S&W I had it would get shot a lot, and I think the Blue Steel guns might hold up a little better than Stainless.
Hi NE450No2, and welcome to the forum. I am interested in hearing your thoughts on the durability of a blued gun over that of a stainless, please.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Back when the 66 came out it was told to me by Dept armours that they were not a durable as the blued 19's.

This agency went from blued guns to M64's, but most officers guns do not get shot that much, so they did not have problems with them.

Also some guys had PPC guns made up on the M64 and they did not stay in tune as long as the blued guns.

I have used Stainless 44 Mags a fair amount with no problems, but my 2 highest round count 44 mags are Blue steel.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Although I am a 41 Mag fan for the most part,
I would have to go with one of my M27s
only because 38/357 ammo is more readily available.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So far, it looks like the 357's are edging out the 44 mags. I have always had an affinity for the N-frame 357, but have J, K and L frame 357's too. XFUZZ, you got a heck of a deal on your 66.

Forum members in the city may have a different choice than those who live far from a town. I live up against a national forest, thus my choice for the versatile 44. That said, the 357 magnum made it's reputation taking all sorts of big game before the advent of the 44 magnum, and appears to have no peer as a man-stopper with the 125 grain JHP.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
I would have to say my S&W M-66-1 2 1/2". It's the best S&W I own, and it's in 99% condition. (I do shoot it.....but not much. :roll: )
With the Bianchi Black Shadow holster, it makes a powerful carry rig.

But, it's hard to ignore my main carry.......... an old, Police trade-in, nickel plated, M-36. I do carry that gun about 99% of the time. kfjdrfirii Bob

·
Registered
497 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, this is the one I would pick over all else.

696 no dash

·
Registered
828 Posts
Tough call, but probably this one...at least right now:

I have a lot of Smiths that I sometimes use, but my first concern is now and always has been concealed carry and this 640-3 is hands down the best little carry revolver I've ever owned.

David

Reactions: Poohgyrr
1 - 20 of 104 Posts