Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
11,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't about the beauties you own, but those that have regularly delivered reliable accuracy when fired. I have split a mix of revolver and pistol, various calibers, but whenever I've shot them, my ability to put a bullet on what I was aiming at was at its peak. Before comments and/or arguments start, if I knew I was going into trouble, I'd be carrying a long gun, either shotgun or rifle, but this is about what you feel comfortable shooting with the best hope of being effective in a bad situation. :)

·
Super Moderator
19,967 Posts
Out of everything in my possession, believe it or not I'd take my S&W model 669, and 5906, and then add a Model 57 for raw firepower in a pinch.

Attachments

·
Registered
28,307 Posts
S&W 66, SIG P365

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
I have the best accuracy with the following : 460V, Pre 29, 38-44 HD and the target Triple lock. In a SHTF situation, I'd probably leave the TL in the safe.
I'm recoil insensitive and have large hands, so there you go.

For lots-o-rounds, I really like the Rami and it works surprisingly well for me.

·
Super Moderator
36,028 Posts
Only one would be next to impossible but only one for me this one:

S&W 686 Plus, I like the dual caliber. Honorable mention or anything addition for me would be these two:

H&K VP9 and Walther PPQ 9mm.

My husband would choose:

S&W 25-5 and his honorable mention or anything additional would be:

H&K USP in .40 and in .45.

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
If I was for sure going into harm's way in the dark and dangerous night.......I'd have both my Glock 30 Gen 4s on me with a few spare Glock 21 mags.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I have bought and sold a bunch of handguns in the last 15 years. Many of the guns I sold were guns that I thought I'd never sell but their accuracy just wasn't what I expected. Now I'll be the first to admit that I don't develop a load for a particular gun. I have loads that I like and if a gun doesn't shoot that load it's on the table at the next show. So with that criteria I currently possess a bunch of S&Ws that are very accurate with my handloads. One that has really surprised me is my 8 shot Model 627 Pro Series. I really like .44 Magnum and .45 Colt over .357 Magnum but this gun flat out shoots. I really believe that a big part of accuracy is confidence in your weapon. I have the utmost confidence in this gun.
Gun Revolver Firearm Trigger Starting pistol

·
Registered
15,671 Posts
High threat but cant have a long gun..... well mine would be my SR9c.
Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Gun accessory
Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Gun accessory

I shoot a few guns pretty well but with a 10 to 17 round capacity, magazines for a quick reload, a good holster & mag pouch, this would be my first choice, but, I would have a 638 J frame in my pocket
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

I shoot it pretty good too and regularly shoot it at 20 and 30 yards.

·
Registered
397 Posts
If I had to go into harms way in a riot or crowd situation, it would have to be my Sig P226 in 9mm that I inherited from my dad. I have two original mags that hold 15 rounds, and I purchased two MecGar mags that hold 18 rounds. I'd carry all 3 spares on me if I had to venture into that.

My Taurus PT1911 has been utterly reliable. It has probably close to 10,000 rounds through it and it's still going, still eating 45 reloads and hollowpoints like they were candy. All I've modified on it is replacing the full length guide rod with a GI spring and guide rod. Everything else is pretty much stock. I'd bet my life on it, that's how reliable it is.

·
Registered
432 Posts
My top pistol pick would be a Sig 220 in 45 ACP. Top revolver choice would likely be a Colt Officers Model in 38 Special. Secondary pistol would be a Colt Woodsman Match Target and secondary revolver a Smith and Wesson Model 28-2 in 357 mag or a Smith K22 in 22LR.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Having been in the situation of needing to choose a handgun for service in a couple of places in the world where the possibility of having to defend my life with whatever I chose was quite real...I can tell you what I actually chose, not what I "would choose".
First trip overseas, I took the full size Colt MkIV, Series 70 in .45 acp. After that, there were several other trips made into the same area. I left the Colt at home, and switched to a Browning Hi-Power carried in a Jackass rig. The extra rounds, as well as (local) availability of 9mm ammunition made the Browning a better choice in my mind.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts