Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently acquired a pair of Smith & Wesson Revolvers from an Estate and am trying to ID them/learn more about them. They are older S&W .38 CTG's and I believe one is possibly from WWII. Any information regarding their model numbers, age/date of manufacture, history, your thoughts on their overall condition (considering their age) and where I can locate a site to determine estimated value (Blue Book of Gen Values?) would be greatly appreciated.

1. S&M .38 CTG; Serial #: 298390. 6 shot w/ 3" barrel. Came with a leather holster marked "US". The "US" marking reminds me of some Civil War relics.

2. S&M .38 CTG; Serial #: V 580013. 6 shot w/ 4" barrel. Came with a leather holster marked "Hunter". This pistol has a lanyard ring on the bottom of the handle. From what I have read it may be from WWII production based on the "V" in the serial number?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
The first one is a Model of 1902 M&P (Military and Police) probably from the mid to late 19 teens.
The second one is a "Victory" British Service revolver from WW II.

They are chambered for two DIFFERENT cartridges. The 1902 takes .38 SPECIAL, the Victory takes .38 S&W.

They both show some finish damage from being stored in those holsters. Oil them up and keep them out of the holsters if you're not wearing them.

The 1902 is kinda rough and probably $300 +/-
The victory is in better shape, but I don't collect those . Someone will be by with valuation for that.

·
Premium Member
21,086 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! I had a well developed response to your question when you originally posted earlier today. But you must have deleted the post. So, now, I have to be extemporaneous. :D

Your #1 is pretty much as Fran states. It is a .38 Military & Police, Model 1905, 4th Change, round butt revolver made around 1916. At the time S&W marketed the round butts as 1902's. So, Fran is correct. The holster looks like it was made for the 1917 revolver or the 1911 semi-auto.

Your #2 is a British Service Revolver from WWII and was made in 1943. It has a lot of British proof marks, BNP is Birmingham Nitro Proof and the .38 .767" 3-1/2 tons stamps are pressure proofs for the .38 S&W cartridge. More than likely, it has been reamed for .38 Special cartridges (CTG) which are more prevalent in The US.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
The US marked holster is for the M1911A1 .45 Automatic in black from the late 1950's onward. It may have had the spacer removed to accomodate the revolver (empty stitch holes on the back side?).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts