Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Model 1905 revolver SN C 4191xx. Appears to be a three screw right side plate. 38 special. No model number on crane or frame. Checkered or knurled front sight with a slight ramp. 4" bbl. Square butt. Magna grips with checkering. Finish shows original blue with numerous areas of blue wear apparently from holster. Most interesting thing about this particular gun is that the back strap is marked "THP 253". I live in Tn. and this may be an early issue Tn Highway Patrol piece. Anybody help with this manufacture date? And anyone familiar with how THP identified their early guns. My guess is that the stamp was an armory number. It would have made inventory very simple if revolvers were hanging on dowels in the barrel.
SANY0043.JPG SANY0045.JPG SANY0047.JPG

Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 馃槑
welcome - that sn would put it 1957/59 - Is it model marked on the crane as a Mod 10 or such ? it is right around the changeover to model numbers..

3 screws on the side plate, and one in the front of the trigger guard will make it a 4 screw..

cannot help you with the THP - although a S&W letter might tell you that..

Registered
11.11.13 024.JPG 11.11.13 022.JPG Since the THP replaced the TSP in 1929 I would hesitate to use the word early. As indicated yours must immediately predate the Model 10 designation. THP policy has been to sell retired handguns at generous prices to Troopers and to send retirees home with their duty weapon. I can not tell you your markings are correct to period, nor can I tell you that there would be any real incentive to "enhancing" an M&P in this way. My guess its legit. While we use the term "rack number" I suspect these LE pieces seldom if ever were parked in a rack.

I can tell you THP R 1159 is a 15-3 and THP R 2061 is a 65-2. When they added the alpha-numeric or began stamping them above the trigger I can not say.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
You are correct blazermark there is the screw in front of the trigger guard. (gosh, I love professionals). There is no model marking in the crane area. The gun locks up tight and smooth. I imagine, like most, it spent most of its life in a holster. Bore is fine. Thanks so much for your time to reply.

Premium Member
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! Nice old pre-Model 10 LE special. The grips are not period correct for that gun. Should have had diamond magnas on it. Yours are from after 1968. Nevertheless, it should be a fine shooter. Congratulations!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts