Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum and hope I did not post in the wrong area. I have a 32 Cal that I am trying to get a year on, possibly value, and properly identify. It shows Model 1563 ans Serial # 70028 on the firearm. However, research is not giving me anything, I simply can't find it. Could someone please help with this. I know I will need to replace the floating firing pin, where do I order it? So grateful for this forum. It says "32 Long OTG" on each side of this is a stamped benchmark. The Patent dates on top of barrel show patent dates " Smith & Wesson Springfield, Mass USA,
PAT'D April 9, 1889, March 27, 1894, August 4, 1896, Dec 22, 1896, Oct 8, 1901. and Dec 17, 1901, Sept 2, 1902, July 7, 1903". Has the same bench mark type on each side of the group of dates.

Thank you,
Frank

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I see you moved to older gun area. I did find this as it relates to serial numbers. These old numbers are not etched in stone. Yours shows 1905 to 1906, but these guns frames could set in factory bins sometimes for several years. I know this is earlier than Hand Ejector 5th change, but I am not that knowledgeable. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along. Hard to believe it is that old, it is a thing of beauty! The gun that I have is from 1916 and the latest patent date on mine is 1914. You said firing pin had a problem. Numrich has only complete hammers on their site, I did not see just firing pins. So you know I believe your gun is an "I" frame revolver.

Pre-War Years:
1899-1902...........1-20,975
1902-1903...........20,976-33,803
1903-1905...........33,804-62,449
1905-1906...........62,450-73,250
1906-1908...........73,251-120,000
1908-1909...........120,001-146,899
1909-1915...........146,900-241,703
1915-1942...........241,704-1,000,000

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Jordan,
Super info. It has a chip on the bottom of the grip, however, I am pleased the diamonds are not worn much at all. Any guess on value or where I could research? I am considering paying S&W to research ownership, ect.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've never seen the prices for these guns run very high. I always hear that a S & W letter usually improves the price by at least the cost of the letter. Any guess my me to the value would only be an uneducated guess. Does this gun have any family providence? I guess that would make value kind of unimportant, if it does. I hope you get to shoot it someday, if that is what you want. Any parts you put in will be more of a hand fit proposition, than on a newer gun. I shoot my 1916 vintage .38, but I shoot very low level rounds, actually lower than 38 Special, more like the old 38 S&W in 38 special cases. Your gun being if everything is right, the 32 Longs are pretty low level from factory.

I think biggest difference in an "I" frame gun is it's close in size to a "J" frame, but the "I" has flat mainsprings as opposed to coil mainsprings of the "J"

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Looks like a 1903 Model from here. Those Bakelite (baked rubber) grips do that. Plastic replacements run around $35. Yes its an I frame. That first date range should begin with 1896. The firing pin (nose clip and rivet), jack first, sarco, numrich, just look around, also check gun broker. Once its back in firing order, maybe $250 or a bit more. They just do not pull the interest that the larger size/lower production numbers models get. Better condition with the original box is of course another matter.

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,961 Posts
Thank you Jordan,
Super info. It has a chip on the bottom of the grip, however, I am pleased the diamonds are not worn much at all. Any guess on value or where I could research? I am considering paying S&W to research ownership, ect.
while a historical letter is always interesting and i have done a number of letters over the years, dont expect too much. Generally you will learn the date it shipped and where it shipped to - that shipto is most likely going to be a dealer like distributor or hardware/gun store, etc.. Individuals are rarely identified.
You wont get any info on other owners, service/repairs, etc.

·
Registered
674 Posts
You have a very nice ".32 Hand Ejector Model 1903 - 2nd Change" from 1907 -08, built on the I Frame. The #1563 is an assembly # and shows in 3 places including backside of the side plate. Yours is worth about $300 with a replaced firing pin. Over half a million were made so they're very common. It's not worth $100 for a letter.

The grips are Gutta percha hard rubber made from the sap of the south american tree of the same name. They're not Bakelite or any other version of plastic and only a little brittle now because they're 100 years of age.

Here's the firing pin you need, known as the hammer nose: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1690400

It's a drop in so no fitting needed. Knock out the retaining pin and put in the replacement.

Any off the shelf standard loadings modern ammo is safe to shoot.

Enjoy,
Jim

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
I've never seen the prices for these guns run very high. I always hear that a S & W letter usually improves the price by at least the cost of the letter.
That cost is $100. Worth it if your gun is valued in the $1000 range, but unlikely otherwise.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Nice little I frame. Looks to have a 3” or so barrel. I have a blued version of it and it is a fun little revolver.

I like shooting wadcutter loads in mine, decent load and accurate. If you reload, a pound of powder will last many rounds!

Kevin

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
I think biggest difference in an "I" frame gun is it's close in size to a "J" frame, but the "I" has flat mainsprings as opposed to coil mainsprings of the "J"

Late "improved" I frames had coil springs. The difference is in the size of the cylinder window . There's a whole long section in SCSW 4th on the variations.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Wow ! Thank you Jim, Excellent info. Merry Christmas !!
You're very welcome.

All the pre war I frames and reintroduced I frames in 1946, yours known as the .32 Hand Ejector (or .32 Regulation Police if it had the square butt grips) "Post War Transitional I frames" have flat mainsprings. Beginning with the "Improved I frames" in 1952, the improvement is the coil spring replacement of the flat spring.

Happy New Year!

Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts