Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Idea's on a new hunting revolver (629 Magnum Hunter vs Stealth Hunter)

14K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  hogg 
#1 ·
I am looking for a new hunting revolver and was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction. This would be my first revolver and I was wondering what everyone thought of the PC Model 629 .44 Magnum Hunter and the PC Model 629 Stealth Hunter. Also, how do they differ from the 629 Deluxe and is it worth the additional cash? Lastly, how do these models compare to the Ruger Super Redhawk? I am new to this forum and if there are any threads already regarding this can you post the link below.

#4 ·
The Ruger can handle just about any load that can be made for the 44 Magnum, without blowing it to hell. The price to pay for that is weight. The Ruger is quite a bit heavier than the Model 629.
The performance Center guns generally have a better trigger, and better sights, so if you plan to use it a greater than 50 yds., those should benefit the accuracy enough to warrant the increased cost over a Plain Jane 629.
I've handled the Ruger SBH, and it was enough for me to choose the S&W 629 instead.
I just don't hotrod my ammunition, and I won't hand shoot past 50 yds. More than likely I'll be 25 yds. or less, so the regular 629 fits my needs perfectly.
You should carefully consider what you need the pistol to do, and then make an informed decision.

#7 · (Edited)
Hard to go wrong w/ any of the above choices. S&W's are lighter & have better actions & trigger pulls. Rugers are heavier & stouter. Since there's a big difference in haw they feel in your hand & balance you should @ least pick up both & see the difference. PS: Welcome to the friendly forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.