Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i dont know if this has came up before, but...I am currently stationed at Ft. Benning down in GA. THERE ARE NO GUN STORES AROUND! well at least not for a 2 or 3 hour drive which i cant do very easily. there are alot of pawn shops that are "gun stores" but they are outrageous to deal with. i looked around online and i was told to find a place to transfer the firearm to for me to pick up and every place around here wants me to pay them around 300 DOLLARS TO DO THIS!!!! so is my only option to make the drive up past atlanta when they finally get one in stock, fill out the paperwork do the background check and then drive back up a couple days later to pick it up? do i have any other options? thanks, sorry if this turned into a rant.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You could look into one of the online services - GunBroker.com or GunsAmerica.com. I have used GunBroker to buy and sell, with no problems on any of the transactions, although, as with any online transaction, you should get comfortable with all the parties involved.

GunBroker has a listing of transfer agents (local FFL's) in your area, included in the Buyers information section. Generally they charge $15-50, (with the lower amounts reflecting CHL, active military, or Law enforcement discounts) in my area...

Tim

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Check with the Base Exchange. Often times they will order or recieve firearms for Active Duty Service Members or Civilian Contractors and Employees.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
300 bucks for a gun transfer is absolutely amazing.The going rate around here where I live is 25 bucks two dealers want 40 so I dont do any buisness with them for any thing. My favorite dealer charges 20 bucks.
Some where around you there is a honest dealer. Like in the other post the guns sites may have one listed. If not look around for gun smiths. Many of them work from home and will do a transfer for you.
Isnt there a rod and gun club there?I bought a model 27 when I was in the army from the rod and gun club it was cheaper than off post prices to.They could order you any thing you wanted also.

·
Administrator
8,186 Posts
All good suggestions..

If the locals don't want your business (and they might not, since it's an Army town.. not fair, but true), your next best choice, other than what's already been mentioned, is driving to Atlanta.

Or, drive a little further and come to Athens. I'll hook you up with my FFL. He charges $15 for a transfer.

One thing I want to point out is that in Georgia, there is no waiting period. You won't have to drive somewhere, do the paper work and then have to go back a couple of days later.

Once you fill out the paperwork, it'll take about 10 minutes to call it in and you can take your new gun with you then and there..

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the tips. after talking to wild west guns just north of atlanta i found out about the no waiting period for georgia. so im going to drive up there this weekend. they ordered one for me in a 6.5 inch barrel and it will be there on Wednesday. i think the reason the transfer fee is so much is because they are all local pawn shops that are kind of shady.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts