Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a revolver given to me I am trying to get any info I can model the date made anything. The number on the butt is 9914xx. Any info is useful thanks.

·
Registered
12,678 Posts
S&W did not use a model numbering system until 1957. Before that, the guns had names. Yours was known as the 38 Military & Police model. In 1957 they were assigned the model number 10

·
Premium Member
18,632 Posts
Welcome to The Forum from the Wiregrass! Your gun maybe a British service revolver from 1941 or 1942. What is the caliber marking on the gun? 38 S&W or 38 S&W special?

Guy

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The side of the barrel says 38 S.&W. CTG. The top of the barrel says SMITH & WESSON SPRINGFIELD MASS. U.S.A. PATENTED FEB. 6.06. SEPT. 14. 09. DEC. 29. 14. The serial is in 3 places the butt and the back of the cylinder and the bottom of the barrel no letters around any of the serials they all say 9914xx. The assembly number is F 37868.

·
Premium Member
18,632 Posts
Pardon my rudeness. Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Your gun is a British service revolver that originally was designed to chamber the 38 S&W cartridge which is a larger cartridge than 38 Special. However, after the war, many of these guns were imported and modified to shoot 38 Special. If a 38 Special cartridge fully inserts into the cylinder, it was so modified. You can shoot 38 Special but expect the cartridge to swell and perhaps crack the brass. Also it has been refinished in nickel as others have noted.

Guy

·
Registered
22,162 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts